can you really forgive without forgetting? or forget without forgiving? Is it God we need to seek forgiveness or those we hurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can forgive, but I rarely forget.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• i dont forgive, forget or believe in god.
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• then maybe the question wasn't for you
    Anonymous

• It's impossible to forget. Forgiveness is possible, it just takes a lot of work. Sometimes you have to remind yourself to forgive someone constantly throughout the day. I was actually listening to a Christian program on the radio yesterday, and they were talking about forgiveness. A girl was abused by her babysitter and said that she has to tell herself to forgive him every morning when she wakes up. Forgiving allows you to let go. It's a way of saying, "Here, God, I trust you to handle this." Harboring all those bad feelings only festers away at your soul. Forgiving is a way of handing your troubles over to God so that you can move on and live the life He intended for you. Hope this helps.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You can forgive without forgetting. Forgetting doesnt mean it stays in the forefront of your mind always pressing on you and gnawing at you,etc. Forgiving lets it go, forgetting just means its been put to a far away folder that gets dusty. Thats how I view it anyway.

You must seek forgiveness from those you hurt not the Divine. How will you learn anything if you let the Divine handle it and expect them to make amends? You cant, you have to learn the lesson whatever it may be.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• In all honesty, I will forgive people but will never forget..I dont forget because I will not have people do that certain thing to me ever again. But that doesnt mean that I will dismiss you as my friend of family member...unless again you burn me again and again...that changes everything.
    Anonymous

• Forgiving without forgetting- of course, you chalk it up as a lesson learned and use the lesson as a guide when you encounter similar events

Forget without forgiving- well if this is the case it porbably was something that you were being petty over to begin with otherwise you wouldn't have forgotten it.

Who do you ask for forgiveness- depends on your beleifs but I feel regardless you should ask the individual you hurt for their forgiveness. Shoudl you ask your God for forgiveness too is up to you, but it's rather arrogant to ask your God for forgiveness but not those you hurt.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You don't need to forget in order to forgive someone. You accept whats happened and you let go of anger. It can be one of the hardest things we are called to do.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I have forgiven, but I will never forget... it took deep heart/soul searching and a lot of yrs to do it...
    Forgiving is easier than ever forgetting why you forgave...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• anon 7:39- maybe not, but i still felt like answering it.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2010