how can i calm my baby who is colic

ilovenicho

Asked by ilovenicho at 7:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a vibrating bouncer worked best for my son
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Colic calm can help. Also a quiet spot...wind him down at the end of the day if the problem is in the evening.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Sometimes peppermint water too :)
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 7:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Hold the baby close, turn on the tv or put on some music you like, and bounce from one leg to the other (does that make sense?). You have to keep the same rhythm in order to soothe the baby. The tv/music is for YOU-something for you to focus on. My daughter had colic for a month when she was a newborn, every night at the same time.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Watch the DVD The Happiest Baby on the Block- all the tips worked wonders for my daughter (swaddling, swings, white noise.) They actually say white noise can be as loud as a vacuum- that is how loud it is for babies when they are in the womb so they can find the noise comforting sometimes- I used a loud fan. My DD took a paci as well, and we did give her gas medicine for infants in case any tummy troubles were causing her crankiness. And the DH and I would take turns rocking and shushing her- like five minutes at a time- because you just need a break sometimes. Good luck- colic is so difficult but it won't last forever, baby will hopefully start to outgrow it soon. Oh, I have also heard some babies find running water soothing- like if you just turn on the shower or the faucet in the tub and let it run, sit in there with them in the dark. GL.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I used to take my son for a car ride, or sit him in his carrier and put it on the washer while I sat with him. I will keep you in my prayers for a short experience. Good luck,Sweetie!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I would hold my son face down with his chin in my hand and his body along my arm with his legs dangling on either side. I would then rub his back gently. That seemed to help a bit. The only way I could get him to sleep (he had colic for 4 months so I tried everything) was a blanket called a miracle blanket. You can buy the blankets anywhere now (they are called swaddlers or something like that) they are formed specifically to swaddle a baby snuggly. That blanket saved me from the sleepless nights I had endured for so long. Good luck! Colic is no fun but it will end sooner or later (sooner I hope for your sake).
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 9:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• What worked with my daughter's colic was Grape Water by Little Tummy's.
    MelanieniePooh

Answer by MelanieniePooh at 12:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? If you are formula feeding try switching to GENTLEASE LIPIL (the purple can). I had to do that with my son and it made a HUGE difference. Once you place the powder and water in the bottle and shake it up, open the lid of the bottle back up and all the bubbles instantly dissolve (you can actually hear and see it working quickly). What also helped was laying him across my legs on his belly, holding his head in one hand while rubbing his back with the other. Most times he didn't particularly like this position b/c he liked to be closer to my heart so I would also lay him across my chest and rub his back while making the "shhhh" (softly) sound close to his ear.
    MilMom04

Answer by MilMom04 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I'm breastfeeding....but now I'm thinking maybe I should formula feed her since she's so fussy....maybe its my milk. Thanks for all of your suggestions....I've tried them all with no success.
    ilovenicho

Answer by ilovenicho at 10:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2010