Taking Stuff Away from a 6 year old and removing it from room

I have a six year old who does not clean his room when he is told to. So my husband will take stuff out and away from him. I don't agree with that, because it only makes him act worse. Is it wrong to do that or is it the right way to handle when he won't clean his room???

sunniegirl1106

Asked by sunniegirl1106 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would do this to my 6 year old...but I believe this would help improve his behavior.

Discipline has to be tailor designed for EACH child. Thats why I find it funny when moms get on here and think their method would work for everyone.

You have to do what works for your son. And if its not working then you need to try something else. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Put it in a box and he can have it back after a week, when he cleans his room, when he does an extra chore.... what ever you decide. If he refuses to clean up his stuff... he doesnt deserve his stuff. If he acts up then he needs to be punished for acting up. end of story.
    Anonymous

• Taking things away that he really likes is a form of dissapline.

Answer by louise2 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I went through my ds's room and cleaned it. I threw away anything that I considered trash. I took toys out of the toy box and set them aside to donate. The mess was stressing me out. Now, I take my ds into his room every night and go through everything that needs to be put away. I am doing the same thing to my 11-yr-old ds. I wonder how much I will have to throw away.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 7:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• We do this at our house too. The kids get their stuff back after the room is clean.
    I often give instructions to clean their rooms then check their progress. Whenever they tell me the room is clean, I go in and check it. Then I say, "so anything I find on the floor or not where it belongs is mine right?" This always gets the kids to do a bit more cleaning.

We've taken things away and gotten hysterical drama and fits, but in the end, the job gets done and they get their stuff back.
    Anonymous

• I have a bed wetter. He was really becoming frustrated an angry with having to change wet sheets daily. As was I with the increase in laundry. Not to mention, his pajamas were being destroyed from getting soaked with urine each night. It was hard on both of us. He wears pull ups to bed now and it's far less frustrating for both of us. He never intentionally wets his pull up, but if it does happen, we don't waste half a day dealing with peed bedding and clothing.
    Anonymous

• You are not alone. I battle with my six year old girl about cleaning her room. I've made the threats before by taking a garbage bag and saying I was going to start throwing stuff away. You are right. It's not fair. That is just us a adults reacting in the same way as the child does. We get frustrated because this little person is getting the best of us. What I've tried in the past is to assign task by instructing the child to first pick up all her shoes and put them away first. When she is done than I say pick up all your dolls and so on. They don't understand the concept that if they would just put away as they play the mess would not be so big to clean up. I think just telling them to clean their room is overwhelming and they often fall apart. Sometimes I get in there with her and help her but I always make her help me.
    SheilaGoGreen

Answer by SheilaGoGreen at 8:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Oops, this is anon 7:55, my computer acted funny and I posted the wrong reply to the wrong question. Sorry!
    Anonymous

• when my kids were that age-once in awhile I would go and sit in their room while they cleaned. It was like if they had direction with what to start with what to do next whatever it helped a lot. YES it took time out of my day but it was that-or it just didn't get done right now they are teens and telling her it has to be done before she can have anyone over-or before she can go anywehre ont he weekend works great and for my son, taking away world of warcraft until it's done works
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Punishing a child for wetting the bed is not going to help the situation. If the child is old enough to not be wetting the bed I would take him to the doctor and get to the bottom of the problem.
    Anonymous