Is anyone a social worker?

So I am thinking about going to school to become a social worker, but dont know much about the profession! I tried talking to an advisor at my college but she just sent me to some website that didnt give much info!

What job setting do you work in? About how much to you make a year? Do you enjoy your job? What are some of the benifits? What hours do you work? What type of company are you employed by? (school, hospital, or other)

Thanks for the help!

mrsmamaj

Asked by mrsmamaj at 8:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• My mom was a social worker for about 10 years. She loved it the beginning, but by the time she quit she hated it. She said that as a SW you see people during the hardest times of their lives and it wears on you. She said she thinks it is a wonderful profession, but she could not separate their pain from her own.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I am a social worker (right now doing the SAHM thing) I have always worked with the elderly-in nursing homes, for elder protective services, and most recently in hospice. I LOVE it!!! It gets tough sometimes, but for me the benefits always outweighed the problems. My most recent job I was making $55,000 a year working for a private hospice company. I do have a Master's Degree and am a LCSW (Licensed Certified Social Worker) I am studying to take my Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker exam (you have to be 2 years post-masters for this) so that I can do private practice therapy in Massachusetts.
    You may look at the NASW website (National Association of Social Workers). There are sooo many different areas of specialization in social work, and you can even move around once you have the degree.
    Anonymous

• I am a social worker too! I worked with people living in poverty and worked as a community developer :D Social work has so many facets to it you can't imagine :D

Good luck!
    Cat_P

Answer by Cat_P at 11:31 AM on May. 28, 2010