did your baby ever have to have an upper GI? how did you deal with not feeding your baby?

my 5 week old has an upper GI this friday to see if he has acid reflux.. they dont want him to eat for 4 hours before... he eats every 2! How do i calm and comfort him when he is screaming for food!? it will break my heart! how did you cope?

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 9:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly, he's gonna be upset either way. i had to do this when my son had to get an ultrasound to see if he had any stomach problems.

i just rocked and bounced him, but he was upset regardless. you know.. he doesn't know why he can't eat :(

but you'll get through it, and so will he! :) GOOD LUCK!
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 9:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• one of my kids was three months old and hospitalized for tests. one test was a tube through the nose and down on through to test for acid reflux. she was very sick in addition to having that test that's why it wasn't outpatient for her. But for the readings to be most precise I had to turn her a certain angle every specific number of hours. One nurse helped me once the other nurses left me on my own with her. I was so confused and anxious.

That was the last time any of my kids, combined with other episodes of general hospital troubles with my two older kids, Since then I've gone for specialty care only to children's hospitals not general hospitals.

My daughter had a chest x ray right before the tube was inserted. I wasn't allowed to hold her, she had to lay with her head elevated for proper reading. I could turn her at specific times and angles.

Ask for details of what you're allowed,not allowed. Pat baby rythmically.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2010