Money on the roof top... Catholic Church in Eureka Springs

A few years back my husband and I took an anniversary trip to Eureka Springs. We booked a package which included our anniversary dinner. The dinner was the most disgusting thing I tasted. The salad and champagne were warm while the steak and potatoes were cold. To enjoy dinner, we the put champagne on the rocks and was fairly well toasted by the end of dinner.

We took a walk around the area before going back to our room. Getting in a car would be a bad choice. We happened to walk onto the grounds of a Catholic church. It was beautiful with the Stations of the Cross outside. The priest was talking to some kids who were standing on the wall trying to get on the roof. There were coins all over the roof I was a tad tipsy still so I didn't want to talk too much, but he told me that it was heritage the parishners threw change on the roof. Anyone hear of this tradition and how it came about?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 9:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm Catholic and haven't heard about that until now.
    Anonymous

• someone told me its the same thing as throwing coins into a water fountain, no idea if its true though.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I haven't heard of that before, but like the pp said, it sounds similar to the idea of throwing coins in a fountain.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I've never heard of that but it sounds like it should be a song..."Money on the roof tooooooooooooooop......" ;-)
    Anonymous

• I just spent a few minutes searching this. I found the church and even some pictures, there were up close pictures of the roof but I can't see one coin.

I know there were some up there because the priest was talking to us about the kids trying to get the money. I wonder if the roof gets cleaned now because kids continued to take the coins.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• It could be a "wishing well" kinda thing and the church just takes it and uses it?
    -AShley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• weird..i've been there several times (its only 2hrs N of me)..i can't imagine coins even staying on the roof..isn't it tile? i would think coins would 'clink' and slide downward, and land on the ground.
    its a beautiful church, though. eureka springs is one of my favorite creeping spots.
    i'm curious..did you stay at the crescent? its supposed to be haunted, ya know. :))
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• We should meet in the middle it is about 2 hours south West of me.

I just asked my husband about this. His first thought was the cold potatoes, then the enormous amount of champagne and finally the church. The roof is tile that is why there is so many pictures of the roof online. However, as blurred vision as I can remember I do think a few coins stuck on the tiles. Most fell down to the shingle flaps that is visible in some online pictures as well. I will post on for you if I can.

I did not stay at the haunted hotel, they can't even chill champagne I would hate to see what my room would be like. We stayed at a B&B "The Rose" I think.

I seem to remember the roof being filled with coins, but maybe I was seeing double or even triple that day. I k now there were coins, the priest was talking about it and my husband and I both remember it. You can't have two druken memories of the same thing.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:18 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2010