How to make daycare workers tell you the truth?

I have a (gut)feeling that the educator in my son's daycare is not telling the truth when I ask questions like: How much did my child eat? How much did he sleep? How long did he cry for? He just started daycare at 2 and a half and I hate when people try to protect my feelings by lying to me. Or maybe they try to protect their business.
I know that kids act differently at daycare than at home with the parents, but still somehow their answers don't mesh with what I know about my child. This is a highly recommended daycare/educational center and quite expensive compared to regular daycares and I thought they would provide good care. Please give me some tips how could I double-check their answers. My toddler doesn't speak enough yet, I can't wait to ask him...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Place a camera on your child! Haha
    Anonymous

• Are you positive you just aren't feeling that way because you're nervous about leaving him at the daycare? I mean, if he seems fine when you bring him home why would you think that the daycare worker would be lying about it?
    Anonymous

• Every daycare i've worked at and the daycare and hourly daycare that my kids go to answers fairly, if they don't exactly remember (cuz having to watch and remember what every single kid did that day is HARD) they give me a round about time he slept or ate, around the time he went potty, ect.

yes, kids act different in daycare, what they won't eat at home, they may eat there, cuz the other kids are eating it. my son eats beans there, but he hates them here. and i've witnessed him eating them while sneaking a look through the window once. the lil' booger.

as for the crying bit, normally if the parent leaves, the child cries for a lil bit then they're done, some kids like to make mom/dad feel bad and start crying as soon as they see them. we always encouraged our parents to look through a window/door and watch them before letting them see you're there so they can see it for themselves that they're having a good time.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I would advise that you talk to the director, see if they can keep charts or something, but honestly, if your gut feeling tells you that they are lying to you, take your child out and find another place. I wouldn't want to be lied to when it came to the sake of my child.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You have a right to drop in unexpectedly to view classes. That's always highly recommended. Talk to some other parents, don't complain about the center yourself just ask if they think it's the best place for daycare and keeping kids safe. Let them do the talking.

I know some centers have camera hookup over the computers for parents.

Follow your gut instinct.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Have the center do a daily activity sheet on your child. We had to do these in all 4 centers I worked for in OK. It shows what they ate for breakfast, lunch and snack and if it was all some or none, also showed what time they went to sleep and woke up from naps, explained activities your child did through out the day and if you child is in diapers still when they had a wet, dry, or bowel movement-and if was runny was marked in a way the parents knew. This is the best way to know what went on in your childs day. Also talking to the main teacher might give insight on your childs day b/c the later afternoon teacher may not have been in your childs room all day to know what exactly they did. I hope this helps? If all else fails, you can remove your child and go to another center if you feel this center is not fit for you and your childs needs.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• yeah we had to do those papers at a couple i worked at. one place didn't do it so i did it myself. alot of parents didn't care and tossed it before they even went out the door, so that stopped eventually
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• yea we had a lot of parents just tell us to throw them away...but i'd rather do them then not so that the parents know we did them. I would just put them in the kids file so we would have them for future reference if we needed them
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You may know your child but also understand you may not know what hes like when you aren't around or when he is in an environment such as school with other children and influences. feel free to drop in unexpectedly, and talk to the director about having the teacher fill out a daily report...
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 10:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I agree with what leann said about the activity sheet. Our daycare does an activity sheet that shows what they ate and how much, nap times, activities, and diaper changes (wet, BM, or dry). Sometimes I specify things Iwant them to write down (whether he had diaper cream on his butt, or how he did with teething). I also try to talk to both the morning teacher and the afternoon teacher. My DS's teachers had very different things to say. Also, if they're not recording specific things, then try to get a general idea isntead of specifics. For example, ask "does child have any trouble falling asleep at nap time?" or "have you noticed anything about his meals...does he seem picky?" or "how is child getting along with the other kids?" Those things will be easier to answer than how long they slept in a day.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2010