Can you REFUSE a 3 hour Glucose Test?

Has anyone failed the 1 hour glucose test and refused the 3 hour test? I HATE needles! What did the Dr. say? Don't they just put you on a diet anyways?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't refuse it. You might be afraid of needles...I am too and I have fainted a few times , but I sure wouldn't refuse that test. It could be so important for you and your baby's health.
    Anonymous

• I def think you should suck it up and take the 3hour test; you aren't put on a diet if you pass. I failed my one hour and passed my 3hour everything has been fine. But if you fail the 3hour you need to take care of your baby; in order to do that you need to take the test.
    Anonymous

• i failed the first glucose test and had to take the 3 hour one. I failed the first test because no one told me I couldn't drink anything beforehand and i had some apple juice. I knew I wasn't diabetic, but to get them off my back I took the 3 hour one. I guess you could refuse it, it is your body afterall. But, I figured might as well be safe. It's not so bad. Just the no eating part is what sucked the most, and the crap they give you to drink is pretty yucky.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I dont know what happens if you refuse.
    I did want to share my experience and say that I have always hated needles, I feel real faint and have blacked out on more than one occasion. I've learned through experiences that if you are holding someones hand when they draw the blood, your reaction is completely different. I have never felt ill when holding someones hand.
    Anonymous

• I don't know how it works if you refuse to do the test. Your doctor might have a problem with that. And no, you aren't put on a diet if you pass the test. Whether or not you are afraid of needles, you honestly need to get over it for the health of yourself and your baby. Which is worse...a prick with a needle or your baby or health health in serious jeopardy?
    Anonymous

• It really important to get this figured out, the depth of the sugar problem or if it's a miscalculation on the testing part. Just breathe real deep and blow out long and slowwwww, look away keep your eyes closed or focus on a point which ever to not distract you. Wear a cd player and headset if you want to.

Remember this is about more than you. The doctors also need to take care of baby.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I failed the 1 hour (don't eat mcdonalds before) and passed the 3hour one.

suck it up - when you deliver that baby you may have worse than a simple needle. you may end up with an IV.

Anonymous

• If you failed the test you could have gestational diabetes and thats why you are doing the three hour. You need to do it. Gestational Diabetes can harm you and kill your baby if left untreated. Don't you want to know? I had it, and I was in danger. No needle is scarier than that to me. This is part of being pregnant. You have a responsibility to your child from day one, pregnant or not.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• why would you refuse it? So you hate needles...BIG deal! Its the health of your baby you will be through alot worse than a simple needle!!
    Anonymous

• Why would you refuse? I hate needles as well. Hate to say it momma but childbirth is WAAAAAAY worse than a little needle. I say suck it up, gestational diabetes can cause some serious health risks!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2010