Do it yourself tile?

Have any of you bought the DIY tiles from Lowes or Home Depot, and actually done it yourself? With our without DH help? We are wanting to have our floors done, as finances allow, I think doing it this way is the best. We can buy what we need for the room we're on with that "allowance" and just do room by room as we can afford. ANYWAYS, have you done this? how did it turn out? was it easy/hard? with help or without? Thanks!

Bran6903

Asked by Bran6903 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We did our cement basement floor ourselves- bough a paint type liquid color that we liked and spread it all of the floor and before going on to a next section sprinkled black and white granules already mixed on to the tan newly spread floor.

Looks really great even three years later. Bought the stuff from Home Depot. Probably Lowes has it too.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My DH and I did our front porch in slate tile. It was easier than we thought and we love it! It's uneven, but hard to tell because slate is supposed to be a little uneven. We did it together, but I could have done it alone if needed.

My sister tiled her kitchen and dining floors and she's not very happy with it because some of the tiles ended up uneven.

My MIL tiled her front and back entries, two bathrooms, bedroom, and hallway herself. Some tiles are uneven or not lined up right, but it looks pretty nice for the most part.

You may want to invest in a tile saw. We were going to rent one for our porch, but we would have needed it for two days for our project and it cost almost as much to buy one as to rent one. We ended up measuring the tiles we need cut and taking them in to the store and had them cut them, but it took two tries because the first cuts were wrong. That made it take an extra day to finish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• setting tile is easy. the hardest part is figuring out how it will look in your house and choosing where to start for visual symmetry. we've done walls, floors, patios, if you have any questions send me a note. two things though
    1. buy or rent a good quality tile wet saw
    2. do not buy the newer smooth grout. it dries and cracks easily. go with the old timey sandy grout in a neutral color that matches the tile.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I've never done either, but are you talking about actual slate type tiles that you have to grout? or the "peel and stick" type linoleum ones? I know people who have done those ones. They work pretty well but I hear they are really hard to get up later. As for the slate tiles, if you're good at DYI projects, I say go for it. But like one of the pp said, they can turn out uneven or not lined up right so be careful. I'm sure you can buy spacers and stuff and if you use a level you should be ok. Also, you could use a laser level and a chalk string thing to draw the grid on the floor so you have a general idea where to place them. I think it's a good idea to do it one room at a time.. good luck!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2010