Discrimination?

DH and I Called today about an apartment. I've been to these apartment... I used to babysit my friends nephew there. My dh called and I had my infant son in the room. he was crying. Right away the man asked who would be living there Dh said "my wife, son and I" the man said right away "the apartment is too small for you and the owner doesn't rent to people with kids!"

thats such a lie! there were kids playing outside and i personally know someone who lived there with her son only about a year ago... we think its cause our son was crying at the time of the phone call... either way is this discrimination?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• it is discrimination if in fact he was making his decision based on the fact you had a child. you can look up landlord tenant discrimination information online. I can not remember everything i learned in my real estate classes.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• its discrimination because he isnt allowing children to live there. unless the property is for 55+, then you have the right to live there. however, after the way you were treated i hope you choose somewhere else. call and file a complaint with the state.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• a long time ago we tried to get a litle house ( to rent) and the woman said she didnt want kids living there and hung up.... sooo I would rather not have landlord who is like that ....so hopefulyl you find somewhere better !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Regardless find somewhere to live that likes kids. I would also speak to the actual owner before I go accusing anyone of anything. just to make sure that guy your DH spoke to wasn't crackers.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• It is discrimination regarldess if kids were/are living there.
    Find somewhere else to live. Even if you went to court with this, you don't want to live in an apartment building/home where the landlord discriminates like that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• What that person did isn't just discrimination, it's against the law. I'd report his ignorant ass to either the police or the local housing commission and walk away smirking to find another, better apartment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2010