I don't know how to help

My grandpa recently got really sick - he was moved from home to nursing care. And my dad, while he's really stepping up and taking care of all the little things for my grandma as far as paperwork and help around the house and all that, is really kind of falling apart over it. I don't know what to say or do. There's not much I can physically do to help - he and the rest of the fam pretty much have it covered - but I feel I ought to be doing SOMETHING. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• just be there for her. Visit her, maybe take her some flowers, a card, or some baked goods to cheer her up and take her mind off of things, at least temporarily.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Nicely said xtwilightx...Yeah just be there she and the family will know you care they already know you love them. If something comes up that you know will make her smile well do it...I pray all works out just fine. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Tell your Dad that you want to help out. I'm sure he would appreciate it!
    Anonymous

• Visit your Grandpa, visit your Grandma. Help her clean, cook, take her places. Bring her little gifts. Just being there to show you love her, you care, and you are there for her is important. Handling the paperwork, the finances, the house repair is important. However, sitting next to her and talking to her, watching TV/Movies with her, going places with her, visiting your Grandpa is more personal. Some would say more important. Plus, ask the other family members if they need any help with what they're already doing. You might be surprised what tasks they ask your hand in.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I'd offer to help. Let them tell you want they need. It's possible that moral support is what's needed most

Answer by admckenzie at 11:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• OP - I guess I ought to mention that, my family is HUGE. People have been with my grandma 24/7 since my grandpa went into the hospital. They've come from all over the country to help her out. It kind of feels like I'd just be in the way if I just went over to be with her, esp. w/ my toddler. My thinking kind of goes, she has all the help she needs, right now. But all these people are going to be going home soon, and I live near her so I will be more needed later, when everyone else is gone. But my question is mostly about my dad - like I said, he's pretty messed up over all this. He is my grandparents' only son and obviously feels a huge responsibility to be doing everything right now. He's w/ my grandpa every day, and then goes to my grandma's to help out. But he's never been the "talking" type, or the emotional type. So he's just gotten distant and sad. I don't know what to say to him about anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Well you cant do anything physically but you can be there to sit and talk to something like that....This includes your dad. You can run errands if needed. Let everyone do what they can now and since you know they have t leave just wait and fill in later.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2010