my daughter might be going to boarding school next year- does anyone know a lot about this experience?

For her, and for me please. Thanks!
p.s. she is 14
and it's a prep school not a behavioral school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't know first hand about the experience. However, I do know that it depends on the environment of the school and your child. Your child could handle it very well, as it is a controled environment that provides a lot of independence and freedoms. (To an extent) Although on the other hand it could emotionally disable your child as it can be a very lonely and intimidating experience. Joining a new school, away from home, and just in general living away from home.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I went to prep school at 15. I came home after completing one year and excelling. My sister went at 15 and loved it and stayed and graduated. My brother went at 15 and left 8 weeks before graduation bc he lost it and quit eating and fell very ill.

Some kids handle it really well. Some don't. You really can't predict it. The environment is so different and there are so many variables that you never know.

Things to know
    1. Dorm life is filthy. If you can come for a visit and help with cleaning, that would rock. Maybe a laundry service for her?
    2. All roommates have an issue at some point. All of them. The school is equipped to handle this. It's part of the learning system.
    3. Know the grown-ups on hall. Know the student life advisers. Know the teachers. The school should have parent involvement activities.
    4. School food is lame. She needs snacks. My dad would drop buy groceries every so often. Like veggies!

cont below
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• 5. Drugs and sex happen. Make sure you speak with her about your family values and safety before she goes off.
    6. Make sure she knows a doctor she can see in the area. Student Health Services = Student Death Services. She needs a health insurance card and a list of numbers.
    7. Organization is the key to success at boarding school. If she needs reminders, calendars, whatever-- get it for her now.
    8. Set a budget before she leaves. A weekly allowance is important. She'll want to have social outings. But it shouldn't be enough to fund rotten behavior.

I'm happy to talk with you about it. You can PM me.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Which one? My daughter has applied to Illinois Math and Science Academy.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I went to one, and it was a great experience for me. You can feel free to pm me with any questions. I was 16, though.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My friend 's son, goes to one my friend is very upset with the liberty that they give those teens, There's lots of kids there , that she see's making out. Some smoking. The language that they use. The way they dress dirty and with ripped clothes.Some don't even brush their hair ,well enough, but she is glad that the school gives them chores to do. And that they teachl school stuff there. She goes and visits hin once a week, and on holidays he gets to come home. (she's not happy with him going there, but he has no choice ,he has to go there.)"It was recommented for him.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Why does she have to go? Did she get pregnant or something?
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 10:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I went to a prep boarding school was miserable and did not go back.It was the year after my parents divorced and my mother is a prima donna.At schools there are crowds like any school.Due to me being unhappy already and without my old crowd I fell in with the fast group.I had been a nerd at home...oh well mom.I am not saying this will happen there because there were very nice girls at the school. So my advice is as she makes friends have her bring one home for the weekend or if you are close enough go up for the day and have her bring her closest new friend with her.Just as if she was home meet her friends as much as possible.I had a friend that went to a different prep boarding she did great ,loved it and was happy.

Anonymous