Inner and outer dialation?

I have never heard of it before today...I was checked (after a wreck) and the nurse said my outer was open but inner was closed. Anyone have any idea what she meant? As far as I knew you were either open or closed but not both....?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Your cervix is about an inch long. The os, or opening of the cervix into the vagina, is the "outer" the nurse talked about. The inner side is where the cervix opens into the uterus. These two places don't dilate at exactly the same time until the cervix is completely effaced.

Dd that help at all?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• actually that is what I thought so yes it helps ALOT. I was just worried cause I was in a car wreck last night. And it put me into labor.. I know that you can be dialated for many weeks before labor I had just never heard of that before lol. Thanks again
    Anonymous