How often is too often? (Ambien)

My dh and I take an Ambien every so often to get some sleep and when I don't take it I am tossing and turning...we do take it quite often but only for sleep of course and we take it right before bed, It's not like we go out of the house to take care of stuff while under the influence...but my question is this too often as it is (sometimes). He has a weird schedule and we only take it when he works early days.
Which reminds me it is a good relaxer for sex...hehehe! It is weird sometimes I don't remember some things we did or do..hehehe he tells me some weird stories...lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Health

• Who is in charge of your kids when you take the Ambien? If you are not remembering sex, you may be too impaired to respond if your child has an emergency. You should not be taking it on the same night if there is not another adult in the house.
    Anonymous

• Be careful I developed a dependency on prescription sleep aids and it was almost impossible to break. They say you can't develop a "physical" dependency but you sure can develop a mental one.

The memory loss and lack of inhibition with sex are things I went through too. I was not comfortable now knowing or being in control of what I did. That part really freaked me out, even though it was just here with my DH. The thing is, he could fall asleep and you could decide you want chicken and get in the car and drive. That's the scary part. Talk to your doctor about maybe finding something not as strong, as well as ask how often they think is too often. If you already can't sleep without them, you are teetering on a dependency IMO. Just use caution.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I took ambien for 3 weeks straight when my husband was deployed to Iraq for panic attacks. Yes they were caused by lack of sleep. Oh anon ambiene puts you to sleep but you can wake up while on it. Thats why that one was prescribed to me. However if she's having those side effects I would not both be taking them at once. Not all meds are tolerated the same.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I take ambien CR every night. The benefits of it for me personally are far worse than not taking it. I probably have a dependence on it but I don't abuse it. I take it as prescribed and never take more than is prescribed. With regular ambien, I had developed such a tolerance that I had to take almost 25 mg a night before I fell asleep AND a little more if I woke up during the night. Ambien CR does not make me crazy loopy while the other stuff does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• um your suppose to take it on a schedule. did your doc not tell you that? i took anatriptoline, but stopped cus i kept getting cotton mouth. its bad to skip around on meds. and people who've taken ambein have slept walked. you need to read warnings.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 12:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2010