When should I worry if my son has a stutter?

We have a 3yr old and he is a bit of a late bloomer and we are noticing the more he is able to talk the more he stumbles on his words especially when he is excited, mad or scared should we just wait a while to see if it smooths out or get him some sort of speech help?

n_o71605

Asked by n_o71605 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son went through this when he was in preK (so 4 years old). I asked the speech therapist at the school about it and she said it would go away on it's own, and it did. I wouldn't worry too much.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My son did this, when he was doing it I would tell him to stop....think about what you want to say...they say it slower. alot of time the brain and mouth dont go off together!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 8:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My oldest did this. He would do it when he was very emotional (mad, excited, scared) and also when we went through a big change (deployments and moves) but he grew out of it.
    BiloxiDreams

Answer by BiloxiDreams at 9:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2010