Has anyone drank red raspberry tea during pregnancy

I am 23 weeks and still breastfeeding my 18 month old. On some sites I've read it assists in the production of plentiful breast milk and other sites it says it reduces milk supply so I'm a tad confused. Can someone PLEASE give me some insight?

AlessasMommy1

Asked by AlessasMommy1 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure about milk supply boosting with it but I know it's VERY VERY good to drink during pregnancy because it tones the uterus.

You might try oatmeal, brewers yeast, extra calories and liquid intake to improve your supply. Also contact an LC for more info. My daughter self weaned when I was 4 months pregnant but she was already 2 so I was glad to have made it to the minimum recommendations before she quit.

GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

• I take raspberry leaf in tea and sometimes in tablets. It's for uterine strength. I hate the taste but it keeps away cramps and annoying braxton hicks contractions.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• As long as it's not herbal tea because that induces labor doesn't it?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Not necessarily Imoqine.

Not all herbs induce labor. In fact very few do.

SOME (again not all) herbs can be dangerous but there are lots of safe herbs for pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• You need to avoid that tea. Really.

Black cohosh- often used to relieve irregular contractions and encourage stronger contractions (If this causes nausea and/or lightheadedness, discontinue.)
    Blue cohosh- helps to increase uterine tone; (can also cause nausea/lightheadedness - mothers should discontinue use of this herb if they experience any of these side effects.)
    Chamomile- encourages relaxation and promotes sleep; Some experts feel that this herb as a tea is gentle enough to use in moderation anytime after the first trimester, however it should not be used it you have any spotting or bleeding during pregnancy as it can promote menstruation.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 2:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Cramp bark- a uterine toner that relieves cramping and increases relaxation; This herb may be contraindicated for women with hypertension or high blood pressure.
    False unicorn root - Promotes uterine tone and hormone production.
    Partridge berry- A uterine toner that relaxes the uterus as well as helps with backacke, leg cramps and overall tension.
    Motherwort- encourages relaxation and reduces hypertension as well as stimulates the uterus.
    Evening primrose oil- this contains a fatty acid that helps to stimulate prostaglandins, a hormone which increases uterine contractions as well as ripen the cervix.
    Red Raspbery leaf- used as a uterine toner and readily available in a tea.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 2:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Yes but it was to induce labor. With how early you are I would most definitely not suggest drinking it!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• There is NOTHING wrong with rapsberry leaf tea in pregnancy. Call any midwife (or OBGYN for that matter) that is even slightly knowledgable about RBL and they will tell you that not only is it perfectly safe but it is good for you during pregnancy.

IT CAN be used to bring on labor but it will NOT work if the body is not ready. It cause the uterus to lightly contract just like having intercourse does and just like breastfeeding does. If a women is ready to go into labor than it may push her over the edge but it will not make your body do anything it's not hours from doing itself!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Anon what you are saying may have some truth, However I was no where near delivery when I used it. As well most people will tell you to not to do any thing that will agitate the uterus in any way during pregnancy. This being because even if it doesn't do any thing immediately, but it may cause early labor in the future if used on a regular basis. However to OP you are gonna get many different answers on this from both people on here, ones you know, and different OBS I suggest you research it speak with your OB and then make you own educated decision. After all your OB is following your care and knows for the most part what you can or cannot handle. Good luck.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2010