New info on SIDS...

http://health.yahoo.com/news/reuters/us_infant_deaths.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "The team hopes the study will lead to a test that measures a baby's serotonin levels, making it possible to identify children at highest risk for SIDS."

THAT is AWESOME. I hope they continue to make progress on this. YAY MEDICAL SCIENCE!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• That's interesting but I still think that the fact that New Zealand has had ZERO SIDS death of babies sleeping on wrapped mattresses since they started their wrapping infant mattress campaign.

My friend has the link to the story about it on her page in a journal. Her screen name is "miasmommy21407" if you want to read it. I don't think her profile is private.
    jblack34

Answer by jblack34 at 4:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• This is awesome. If they can somehow treat the brain to stop this child's death would be phenomenal. The brain is such a strange and complex thing, I wonder if we'll ever have it figured out.
    shortymichelle

Answer by shortymichelle at 8:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• @ jblack34-
    I don't know for sure, but I've heard that the baby wrapping thing is a scam.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I wonder if there is an external cause for the low levels of serotonin. Like lack of enough skin to skin contact upon birth / later in newborn stage or viral infection of the mother during pregnancy, etc.. I'd be curious if they could control for that and what they'd find..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2010