How often do you give you new born a bath?

My baby is one month and ive been told that i shouldnt give her a bath everyday because of dry skin...should i?

Bri_Beeks

Asked by Bri_Beeks at 1:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ya you definitely don't want to giver her a bath every day but maybe 2-3 times a week depending on how many "explosion" poops she may have. be sure to use lots of lotion once you dry her off to help hydrate her skin since it is winter and our skin tends to dry out in the cold.
    Parkers_Mommy8

Answer by Parkers_Mommy8 at 1:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I also have a 1month old and i give her a bath maybe 2 times a week right now
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• No you shouldn't bath her everyday. She's a baby how dirty does she get just laying there? Her skin is very delicate you do NOT need to bath her a lot. Every 3 days is about right unless she has a really messy diaper and even then just clean her up in the tub, no need to completely bath her unless it's everywhere.

When you DO bath her make sure you have warm towels and stuff right there so she doesn't get cold when you take her out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• oh im sorry but reading these answers are disgusting me..i have given my daughter a bath every day!!!! since she was born!!! i cant imagine not bathing a child for 2-3 days..YUCK!!! sure they may not be outside getting all covered in dirt..but they shit in their pants, they spit up, they drool..they need to be cleaned!!! use a mild soap..i used one called "babys own" or else i used dove for babies..and i put the johnson and johnson night time lotion on her after every bath..(when she was that young i used to bath her in the mornings tho) but ya, i wouldnt stop bathing your baby!! maybe thats why so many moms/dads dont cuddle with their children anymore, cuz they stink!! lol im kidding!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:23 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I bathed my babies every day. However, my midwife said the biggest mistake parents make is to put lotion on their babies. It keeps their oil glands from producing enough natural oils and they will end up with dry skin where they will HAVE to use lotion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• The dry skin depends on the baby. I've known some babies to dry out more when bathed everday, & some to dry out more when they are not bathed every day. I, personally, bathe my son (who is 3mnths) every 3-4 days. However, I wipe him down with a damp cloth twice daily (sometimes more if it's been a messier day or if we've been out & about all day). There is no need to bathe them in the tub daily, especially this young. But to each their own on this subject. Many doctors & even hygiene specialists would agree that every single day is not neccessary until about 18months, I talked to a few at the local baby wellness center as well as at the hospital while my son was in the NICU.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 5:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• i would bathe every day, but it depends on your child. Some do have more sensitive skin, so watch for drying and things and take your cues from the baby. But i would not go more than every other day. Just because of the folds of skin in the neck and around the diaper area. They need to be cleaned often.
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 6:13 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I agree, dry skin depends on the baby. I don't understand blanket statements that babies shouldn't be bathed everyday. It depends on the baby and depends on the parents. It's not vital to bath them everday, but that doesn't mean you can't. Neither of my babies had dry skin and I bathed them every night as part of the nightly bedtime ritual. My babies were calmed by baths and loved them.

I do find that babies get dirty. They spit up, poop A LOT (and that runny stuff often goes up their back) and my babies had lots of hair that tended to get greasy. You have to wash their hands and face everyday. Then you have to clean the spit up that goes under their chin and down their neck, then do the diaper area and halfway up their back, you might as well just strip them down and bath them LOL. Maybe other babies are less spitty and poopy than mine were.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I never immersion bath my baby, sponge baths only and she's four months old. No lotion. no perfume, no powder which is bad for babies lungs. She's not rolling around in mud for goodness sakes. We cloth diaper so the natural pocket prevents poo creeping.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:54 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• johnson and johnson lotion is terrible. read the label. if you must use something go with something natural like shea butter, coconut or olive oil. pure aloe is also soothing.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2010