Early babies

just wanted to hear what issues an early baby could have at 32 and 34 and 36 and 38 weeks
NOW yes i know babies need to stay in for as long as possible just sorta a me thinking and now i sorta just want know.

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my daughter was born right at 37 weeks...the only thing wrong was she had a bad cone head for a few hours -- but htat was because she got "stuck" during labor..it wasnt from her being early

My son was born the day I turned 35 weeks...and was perfect....they had to do a carseat test since he was early...but he was fine

my daughter was 6 pounds 9 ounces...and my son was 6 pounds 7 ounces....so they were a pretty normal size -- my DR said if they stayed in the whole time they both probably would have been close to 10 pounds..
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My twins were delivered by emergency c section at 36 weeks. The only issues they had was they were small (3 lbs 14 and 4 lbs 13). They were in incubators for a little while. My DD gained enough weight to come home after 2 weeks in the NICU. My DS was LAZY..the smaller of the two...had to be tube fed because he would fall asleep during feedings...and then he get an infection and ended up on IV antibiotics so he was in there a month. Once he was feeding OK and weighted 5 lbs with no more need for the IV he got to come home.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I had my 2nd ds at 37 weeks. he had problems with his blood sugar( i didn't have diabetes either) and he couldn't maintain a tempeture of 98 degrees. he was in the nicu for 4 days. they gave him antibotics just in case there was an infection. the dr said it was him just being ealry that caused it cause the test for infection came back negative.
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 8:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• had one at 34 weeks she was fine we went home 4 days later had my boy at 33 weeks it was hard he quit breathing was life flighted to another hosp was on cpap and had to learn how to eat ..hold body temp and breath on his own he came home 35 days later (he is great now ) but it was so hard I could not hold him for 4 days that broke my heart

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My twins were born at 37 weeks; they both had a little trouble keeping body temps up and a little trouble with blood sugar and jaundice. My daughter was almost 6 pounds and had no other issues. My son was closer to 5.5 pounds; he had a little more trouble adjusting to life outside the womb, but it was nothing too serious and he went home with me 3 days after birth. My doctors indicated that baby girls develop faster even in the womb, and a baby girl born at 35 weeks is less likely to have problems than a baby boy born at 35 weeks even if their weights are the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• There are a lot of variables to that question. If you and your baby are healthy your baby would be just fine even at 32 weeks. If you have a preexisting problem or the baby isn't in tiptop shape things might not be so rosy. I had gestational diabetes with 2 of my pregnancies and they were born at 35 and 36 weeks. Both were over 6 lbs but they both had breathing problems. One stayed in the NICU for 7 days. The other was a emergency c-cection which exasperated the problem and she was in for 10 days.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Every baby is different. You could be looking at breathing problems, apnea, trouble maintaining body temp, and/or low birth weight. The baby might have a poor suck/swallow/breathe reflex, but that's generally a problem with the smaller preemies.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 11:15 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• you are consider full term at 37 weeks...both of my sons were induced at 37 weeks cause i had terrible eclampsia!!! it was awlful.....my second son had to stay in the hostpital for a week because the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and when they unwrapped it he inhale all that amniotic fluid...He got what they called Wet Lung..But other that that he was fine..7'11 lbs...and beautiful!!!
    rosie2guns

Answer by rosie2guns at 11:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I just had my son on the 29th of january. i was 37 weeks and he's healthy! Every baby is different.
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 3:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Op here: only asking cause had both my kids early 36 weeks, and I have a short cervic with this pregnantcy, and I am concerned. I wanted to hear real life people you know and what issues they had. I am having a girl and doctor says they are gonna do everything they can too keep her in BUT like my last two kids at 36 weeks they ended up coming anyways. was just worring.. lol cause im pregnant and a woman and a mom and its sorta just what i do. :-) at this point I got 2 more weeks till 28 weeks and already on some sorta blood pressure meds to keep my contractions down, I would like to go to at least 36 weeks but just wanted to hear how bad it would be if she came before then.. thanks for the info ladies
    Anonymous