When you became a parent, how much did your life change?

Before my son was born, I could be sympathic to another parents' troubles when it came to their children. But now that I have my own child I find myself crying at things I never did before. For example another family just lost their 2 year old son to cancer and I found myself bawling my eyes out as if I knew these people and I never met them before in my life. But just the fear that it could happen to my child or anyone's child hit home and makes me want to hug my child even more just so that i know that no matter what happens in life, he will know that he was and is loved very much.

Cappy1979

Asked by Cappy1979 at 3:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Welcome to motherhood!! We are all bonkers like that. I cannot stand watching anything to do with kids being hurt or killed anymore. It's because NOW you understand the love and bond you have with your child. The thought of anyone losing that or violating that is just unthinkable. I can't watch those TV charity things with all the crying starving kids in them. I can't watch any real crime shows to do with kids being murdered. I just can't. I made that mistake a few weeks ago and had more than a few sleepless nights thinking about the pain of a parent finding their little girl murdered in her bedroom while they slept. I WOULD DIE. That's the only thought I have around those issues now. See even thinking about it now is making me want to cry and go wake my babies to love on them.

You're normal. No worries :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 4:10 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• its crazy how these things can affect us after having kids. I'm the same thing. It's only natural for us humans to put ourselves in another's shoes imagining what another has gone through. Its only natural to do the same with our kids. It's also made me so much more responsible and made me want to take care of myself and family so much more, because if anything happens to me or them, it'll effect everyone!
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 5:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• True. I quit smoking and drinking before I got prego and now that I have my lovely little ones, I have good reason to not start up ever again :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 5:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I think that's very common. My husband and I both have to stay away from news stories about little children getting hurt or sick or killed. I don't like to watch TV shows where kids are hurt. Not that I enjoyed watching that stuff before, but it didn't cause that intense emotional response like it does now.

I've also heard other people say that after having kids they had to avoid these types of things because it's so hard to handle hearing about them.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• What I find amazing is that before I had kids I never felt like my life was pointless or that I didn't have anything to live for. Now that I have kids, I feel like if I lost them there would be no point in going on, there would be nothing to live for. It's like as soon as I had kids, nothing else was really all that important.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• 100%. Like you I am more emotional. I find myslef crying over things and asking myself what is wrong with me. lol
    I also used to be quite a party girl befor eI had my lil man, none of that now.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I think this is normal when you become a parent. I think I changed for the better, even though getting struck with PPD is hard to deal with, it's better than whatever road I was headed down before. I'm actually finding myself more excited about the future now (even though there are worries). Before I got pregnant I had just turned 21yrs old & all I wanted to do was go out drinking. Now I am more interested in playing peek-a-boo with my son & watching him grow & learn. I'm also more serious about life now, like I finally went back to school this semester instead of just talking about it! I want much more for myself now that I'm a mom, because I want the best for my son (& to do that I need to take care of myself more than ever). I'm also more weepy about miscarriage & abortion now, even though I'm still pro-choice. I also get emotional around pregnant women, knowing that they are growing a miracle.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I changed almost all around. I never realized just how much of a miracle just being pregnant is/was... I birthed a mind blowing difficult baby but WE made it to him turning 2 this past Nov and WOW... I couldn't love this little person more. I never have let him stay over night cause I cant' stand the thought of him being away from me - I can't watch Nancy grace like EVER without bawling and imagining what my life would be without my son in it.. I just don't want to imagine who I would be without him. I feel like he is really my purpose here..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2010