At what point does my daughter have to feed herself with the spoon? She's 16 months old now.

MumbyGrace

Asked by MumbyGrace at 5:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter's 20 months now but it isnt easy for her but she loves the freedom to. I think at like 2 yrs or a little more.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 5:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• It's a natural thing to feed with fingers. Society forces us to use utensils. So when does she HAVE to? Never but she will by watching others. Just let her watch you but don't force her to do it on some schedule. Kids should always do things at their own pace

Answer by admckenzie at 8:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Mine has been feeding herself with a spoon since she started feeding herself with some accuracy and showed interest in the spoon. She is 2 and it isn't exclusive but most of the time and does insist on the spoon or fork.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Mine was mad at his first birthday because I tried to have him eat his cake with his hands. He asked for a spoon and ate cake and ice cream with his spoon. So, whenever they are capable, they can. They neve have to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I would offer a spoon with the appropriate food at 16 months. Even if your daughter will resort to hands, it's an important skill to learn and is definitely something she should be working on -- not have already mastered -- by this point. My daughter will be 17 months tomorrow and has a yogurt first thing in the morning with a spoon, but I do catch her dipping her hand in there now and then.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2010