How Come People Aren't Talking More About This?

Andrew Wakefield, the man responsible for riling everyone up against vaccines, has been discredited. His "research" was essentially flawed and his methods were unethical. The Lancet medical journal, which supported his findings originally, has retracted their support of both him and his findings.
I would think that after all the screaming about how horrible vaccines are, when a lot of that so-called "information" turns out to be pure, unadulterated bullshit, the screamers in question would at the very least, start screaming about the fact that they were spoon-fed bullshit by an entity other than "Big Pharma".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I knew about his "findings" having been discredited YEARS ago, but once some people have it in their heads how things are, it's nearly impossible for them to stop believing it, even when found to be untrue twelve ways to Sunday!!!

Both of my children have autism, and I never once blamed anyone or anything other than genetics for causing it. I've met DOZENS of parents with autistic children in my travels, and have met MANY well-versed and highly educated parents who continue to believe Wakefield's findings, and are doing (IMO) "crazy" therapies to "fix" their childrens problems--many of whom are worse off after these treatments! I've also met many parents who have divorced over pointing the finger of blame at one another for "causing" autism, and two who have lost their homes trying to pay for controversial therapies. It's really quite sad.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:42 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• It won't likely matter to the anti vaxers.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Oh, and I should mention that two sets of parents I know have NEVER vaccinated their children. One family has 2 out of 3 children with autism; the other family--who are vegans--have 1 child with autism, and the other child with severe ADHD.

Like I said, it's genetic!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Because when you have spent as much time bashing parents FOR vaxing as some of these people have- you have to find time to google and find some other "source" for your views so you can not use that to further bash parents FOR vaxing.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:17 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• i knew nothing about this guy. I just think some people simply choose not to do it because they don't know whats in the vaccine. They think it may be some kind of government conspiracy or something or maybe they know people who have had a bad reaction. I do vaccinate myself and my son but some of these new things i'm just not sure of...i chose not to get the h1n1 because it was so new. we just stuck with the regular flu shot.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• LoriKeet...Could not have said that better. I have a child with Autism, and I never believed for a minute it had anything at all to do with vax. What's really sad about all this, is that it took the focus away from important research...and to all those that scream Big Pharma is looking to get rich...they need to consider the MILLIONS made by Andrew Wakefield. But those that think it's the cause will never change their minds, because they can't be 'wrong', which is sad too.

Rileyscute

Answer by Rileyscute at 8:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Well I'm not familiar with that guy, but I dont vax. And the same is said about the media! They feed the same B/S in dividens and sugar coat the facts with public opinion. I speak for myself when I say that I've done my own research and "I" have my OWN reasons for not vaxing. I doubt that the words of this guy alone riled everyone up against vax's.

Besides who can judge rather or not a persons means of research are unethical? Research isn't flawed...perception however can be tainted.

...Just wanna know...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Oh and to google..lol The sources on the internet are always correct..after all there are almost 800,000 web sites talking about Elvis being alive!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Because anyone with any common sense would put two and two together and look at the past as "our" proof. Most of us "educated" people would understand that it took vaccines to rid our country of most devastating diseases that killed so many. Most of "educated" people understand how important this stuff is and YES WE chose to vaccinate because IT'S THE CORRECT thing to do. Letting your child go "un-vaccinated" is not only putting your own child at risk, but it's putting an entire nation at risk.

I always say, if my child or grandchild contracts a disease from an unvacc kid, there will be hell to pay. I will SUE THE CRAP out of the unvacc kid's parents!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• It won't likely matter to the anti vaxers
    ---------------------------
    agree completely
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:59 AM on Feb. 4, 2010