Is it just me?

It really bothers me to hear a parent using poor grammar in front of a school-aged child. This is a blatant contradiction of what the child is being taught in school. Aren’t we, as parents obligated to reinforce learning and teach by example?

Asked by rkoloms at 8:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• its the reason most of our kids are failing miserably in school. the shortened words and text lingo

we speak properly and are teaching our children to do the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• it bothers me, yes. however, some people don't have good grammar simply because they don't have good grammar! for others, its a bad habit-they know better, but they choose to be lazy with their speech. yes, kids will either be confused, or most likely, pick up what they hear at home over what is taught at school.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Yes i agree! we as the parents are the number one teachers for our children. I feel the same way. i can't stand it when people talk to my children like they are babies.
    Monkie-00

Answer by Monkie-00 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• yes...i may not be right all the time but i do try and i do correct my son if i hear him saying something wrong. Once i even wrote to nick jr because i was angry about the show backyardigans for one of the characters saying "its gooder to be good" ....I don't believe that they should be talking like that when kids ages 2-4 are watching and learning how to speak. I KNOW its my job to teach my son how to speak correctly but a cartoon can influence a child.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I've been more free with my kids as preschoolers just so they could be relaxed and have fun, I felt time enough for being correct once the real world of school starts. Then that's when I've gone after my kids. I did always correct my kids no matter ages in or out of school when very bad language was used in tv shows. I banned my youngest daughter when she was little from watching rugrats because a character said 'stupid' often. It was unacceptable that she went around calling her friends and adults stupid. That was totally uncalled for!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• i am not an uptight mom at all though. we have lots of fun and cut up...probably more than most people. I would say a lot of moms would probably frown at me for some of the obnoxious things i do...burping, farting, and making little jokes and even some made up words with my son but there is a time to be serious. my son knows the difference.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My husband leaves the grammar up to me while he takes care of anything math related. His grammar is atrocious. He uses "ain't" all the time and it drives me insane! I'm hoping our daughter does not pick up on this. So far, so good. I haven't heard her utter an "ain't" yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My son has teachers that use poor grammar and mispronounce words all the time. He comes home just furious. He told me the other day that he cannot sit in class and learn from a teacher that insists on saying "borry" in stead of borrow. LOL All his teachers are horrible in the way they speak. I'm glad my son realizes that and knows not to follow.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• You just described half the questions posted here. It is crazy the amount of people raising children that have such a poor grasp of English and spelling and grammer. UGH
    Anonymous