What would you have done to your kid? aarrgg!!!

I have an 8 yr. old boy and he is pretty bright when he wants to be well lately he has been very good on his Spelling Tests but for some reason yesterday while we were studying his words I noticed he was doing alot better and quicker I was very impressed but if it wasn't for his sillyness that ratted him out I would of never caught him. I was sitting at the kitchen table calling out the words and he was standing on the other side of the table (but I kept noticing he was jumping and every once in awhile he would look downward but I did not think too much of it) Prior to this he did get to go to the room to study, anyway I was like noticing he was doing too very well and caught him looking down again...He had wrote on a piece of paper the words and would glance at them everytime I called out a word. No wonder he was doing so well I was so pissed I sent him to T/O along with a spank...I was furious at him. Had 2 redo it all over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• GOOD JOB MOM! I love that you cared enough to spank him butt. WAY TO GET THE JOB done! That is perfect. Sometimes, it does take a good spanking to get them to understand what they do is wrong. I hate wimpy parents!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• oh i probably wouldve been a little meaner and creative. I probably wouldve made him write the words about 10 x's each and tell him i was making him do it so he could remember so he wouldn't have to cheat. Then after i would call out and if he couldnt spell them then i would make him write the ones he missed 10 more times.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• ...i'd keep doing it until he got em right
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• at age eight I would have had him write the words and defs too plus practiced orally more after time out. The spanking I'm not sure had as much impact as more writing to learn the work he needs to know would have.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:59 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Repetition is how we learn. He's not cheating. He's just reinforcing his memory. Every time he looks or spells it out loud he reinforces his memory. It's not a bad thing. He's learning. By the time he gets to class he will know it well. Good job mom for having him repeat even though you did it as a punishment but don't think all things are bad just bc it's not what you would do now as an adult. I'm sure you looked at a list of words as a child to learn how to spell them. Yes, I have my Master's in Education.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• my 8 yo has been annoying me also, not with cheating but the fact that he will leave his homework in school. i believe it's done intentionally so that he doesn't have to do hw that night. urgh! I make him do his brothers hw. but it's been very fustrating. i think they get more creative in schemes as they get older and this is just the beginning. i feel a long road ahead of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• haha if my kid left his homework at school i would drive him to school to pick it up
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• personally I don't approve of spanking, but I do think that you did right by correcting him for cheating.
    A good friend of mine started that sort of thing at that age and continued at least until junior high.
    Until we had to take this big tests to determine what math class you were to be in-her mother wondered why she scored to be in a gen math class when she was getting near As in a pre-algebra class.
    I told my mom it was because she cheated on the tests-her younger sister tried the same thing.

Kids tell me all the time how frustrating it is to see other kids doing so well from cheating-that they don't see the benefits of doing it themselves. cheating seems to very accepted and mainstream anymore.

anyone else see this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• OMG...it's not like he was cheating ON THE TEST!!! He's still learning them
    personally - I would have been like- ok, nice move buddy! now lets do them again without the cheating ;)

the ones he missed we would have made a little tune/song for or broken them down in some way or something...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:52 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Wow charlotsomtimes....I like your attitude how I wish I was like you you make it sound so pleasant and fun. But he was getting on my nerves already I picked him up from school I let him relax for a while then we started to do some school work..I try to look at it your way but it is the principal on how he went about it...it made me mad I was on my last nerve with him...I had no time to make it fun :(  If anything I was disappointed in him. But after all was said and done he did great.

Thank you Ladies for all your great answers...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Feb. 4, 2010