Weight Problems need advice?

When I went to my OB yesterday I lost 9 lbs. It didn't bother me much bc when I was pregnant with my first child I lost more weight then I gained. The going joke was pregnancy was the best diet I ever been on. Well anyway it bothered my OB and he said next time I come he wants to see some weight on the scale. Now I'm eating like a pig at a trough and don't know what else to do to gain weight. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well i looked at your profile and you are overweight.. as am I . My OB told me that starting over weight Its ok to lose or not gain at all.. I think its completely ok. get a second opinion if that would make you understand or feel better. I think your ob is wrong pressuring you like this. Why this pregancy is he having a problem withi it, and your ob your first pregnancy not have a problem with you losing weight? Seems to me he doesnt know whay he is talking about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• If you are overwight it's okay to not gain as long as ultrasounds show the baby is growing normally for the gestational age. I'm a size 14 and for both my pregnancies I ate better (it's motivating when you have a baby to take care of) and weighed less at full term than when I became pregnant and my OB's were not concerned and both my children were born 100% perfect and healthy.

My daugher is only 7 weeks old. I was 195 when I became pregnant with her, I was 180 at 9 months and I'm 173 right now, 7 weeks PP.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• When I go to my high risk doctor who gives me my ultrasounds she says everything looks great. Which I told my OB but it still seemed to bother him. During my first pregnancy I had a different OB. She didn't get on me too much about my weight loss. She said it was ok as long as it wasn't to much.
    JrSmOm2005

Answer by JrSmOm2005 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My Ob wasn't concerned when I lost weight because I was overweight to start with. It depends on where you are in he pregnancy though. As time goes on the baby gains more quickly and if you lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks that means you lost even more than that because the baby gained weight. Try and make sure you are eating good food and not just stuffing yourself. They can do an ultrasound and see how the baby is growing if there seems to be a problem.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I lost 9lbs over a month and I'm 18 weeks
    JrSmOm2005

Answer by JrSmOm2005 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I think you and baby are just fine, don't pig out which is more unhealthy for you and baby.....and when you go back if your doctor is still acting like a jerk tell him that weight gain is not necessary in overweight pregnant women and your baby is perfectly normal....then find a new OB
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Maybe I should have put this a different way, I don't "pig out". But I do have a heavier appetite than I did before pregnant. I do pick alot during the day but its usually a piece of cheese or string cheese, or a pickle. But when meals come around I find myself eating bigger portions than I did before. Thats what I meant by pig in a trough.
    JrSmOm2005

Answer by JrSmOm2005 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I delivered being one pound heavier than my pre pregnancy weight. I played the lose and gain game too. My doc said it was fine, there was nothing i could do. Its how our bodies react. It was a good weight loss plan for me too. At my 6 week checkup i was 32lb lighter than my pre pregnancy weight..lol..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2010