What body products are okay to use while breastfeeding?

I'm due in a few weeks and stocking up on everything. I plan on breastfeeding and have no idea which soaps and lotions are okay to use while breastfeeding- obviously nothing scented but does it end there? I've also heard not to put lotion on your nipples but is the rest of the breast okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your nipples will make their own moisture and enzymes to keep them healthy for BFing. A mild all natural unscented soap is fine for your whole body. If you feel you need lotion on your skin, use the same stuff you would put on your baby-- something natural and unscented. You'll have a lot of skin-to-skin contact. No lotion on the nipple.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I agree with the above. Also, if your nipples get a bit sore, it's good to express a bit of milk and rub on them and let them air dry.

Good luck with the delivery and all that comes after :-) How exciting it must be.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 11:00 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• There are no rules and you can do whatever you want.

I choose to avoid things with scent so my baby could smell me. With one baby I didn't use deoderant. I thought it was bad since the baby is so close to your arm pits. I used the crystals. They did nothing and I sweat a lot and even more while nursing. My son is now an adult and he likes the smell of sweat. LOL

I couldn't do that with my other two sons. You don't need any lotion on your nipples. Lanolin can cause problems and there is no reason to have it on hand. It should only be used on the advice of a LLL Leader or lactation consultant.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I breastfed my daughter for 11 mos and I am currently breastfeeding my soon to be 12 mo old son and I use scented body wash and regular jergens lotion. I use the lotion on my breast but not the nipple or areola. I do not wear perfume AT ALL but I do wear deoderant. I don't use lotion very often, only when my skin is starting to become dry. But the scented body wash has not and does not bother my children.
    MilMom04

Answer by MilMom04 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I use scented body wash. The rule of thumb is not lotions or perfurmes on the breast. If your nipples become sore, breastmilk or Laniosh (spl?), it is in a purple tube, will help.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 2:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I use regular scented bodywash and neutrogena lotion - I've breastfed all 4 of my kids and they've never had a problem with it. My dr nor breastfeeding classes never talked about it and I never thought about changing my soap or lotion. I didn't use lotion on my nipples, but used it fairly liberally everywhere else. I also wear scented deodorant and perfume - to my kids that IS my my scent.

Answer by missanc at 2:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Do as you will. NO restrictions except putting things on the nipples.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). www.ewg.org

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2010