How do you stay informed if you refuse half the info?

I had a question up last night about one of the campaign ads running for congressional primaries this year. It was derailed when some drama queen decided to pop in and throw a hissy about YouTube links. Like it or not, pretty much every elected official is now releasing vlogs and ads directly to YT, as are CSpan, the newspapers, and several departments of the government. The only place to see the ad I posted is on tv in that candidates state or on YT where she has it hosted.

If you are still clinging to a blanket refusal to click on YT, and thereby refusing to accept half the info involved in making decisions about issues, can you still consider yourself informed? Where does the responsibility lie - should tax money be going to double release everything - once on YT and then repackaged on a custom site for YT-phobes, or should they suck it up and learn to discern credible sources on their own?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would rather read something than see a "creative ad" that is put on You Tube because ANYONE can put some dumb You Tube on the Internet and it could be a pack of lies. THIS You Tube was a blatant attempt at promoting some chick named "Carly" and since I don't live in Califiornia, I really don't care. Many people here at CM resent the YouTubes and would rather read something that makes sense and is possibly intelligent. "Drama Queen" ? I think not. SHe wanted to read about the issues and the only choice she had was a You Tube. A silly You Tube.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I have wondered this myself, not just about You Tube, but about anyone that only listens to one side's rhetoric (either side, pick whichever fits). If you only hear one side of the story, how could you truly make an informed choice?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I don't have a problem with UTube but I think you can get enough information from other sources. Now if you are just complaining that so me people refuse to believe UTube is a viable place for information, thats another story. I see it often too. Of course some UTube videos have been altrered but for the most part they are nothing more than true life videos from the person in question. They come directly from the candidate or the news show. Go figure, there ar many people who just refuse to see another side of an issue, video or not.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• ALL of Youtube is not silly. LEGITIMATE new sources and campaigns are using you tube. If you cant tell the difference between "carly from californias" vidio and at a legit vid from a legit place that sounds like a personl problem. I am with you NP.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• The problem with youtube is that not all the info is fact checked. and some is just conjecture. I have noi problems watching it but will always find another source to back it up.

For example, showing a video of some idiots that Howard Stern put on and saying they rep Obama voters is just dumb
    and the same in reverse..(for McCain voters)....It is opinion and there are OTHER people that DIDNT make the EDITED video....KWIM??
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• THIS You Tube was a blatant attempt at promoting some chick named "Carly" and since I don't live in Califiornia,

Umm, this particular YT was a campaign ad, as was clearly stated in the OP, and the point of posting it was the direction (horrible and laughable as it was) that particular candidate was taking to try and get her point across. ANd BTw LInda, YOu SHould REally LEarn To PRoofread BEfore YOu HIt SUbmit. ESpecially WHen YOu POst ANon. Yes, it was absolutely a DRAMA QUEEN.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I agree with you NP. Many people only want to listen or read the sources that say what they want to believe. Look at all the questions that get posted and nobody even will reply. Why?? because they can't find facts to disprove them. It's easier to keep the head in the sand rather than inform themselves and burst their utopian bubble.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:14 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Yep im with ya NP ..some things on youtube are edited and bogus but certainly not all and one wants to find out the truth research a bit further is all.We have it all right here at our finger tips.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I didn't hear anyone complain when Obama was doing a question and answer session on YouTube last week. The WHITE HOUSE put it on YouTube.

"I would rather read something than see a "creative ad" that is put on You Tube because ANYONE can put some dumb You Tube on the Internet and it could be a pack of lies."

While not everything on YouTube is reliable, not everything put in written word is reliable either.  This is not a particularly solid argument.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I dont refuse any info, I'll look at it all, but the biases way against the purported "facts". My only issues with YouTube are two fold: 1) Why do the videos take so long to load?? 2) Anyone can make a video saying anything, that doesn't give it credence.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2010