Inducing

I am 38 weeks and 4 days today. My due date is Feb. 14th, 2010. Will doctors induce if my baby girl doesn't come by the 14th? Since that is a Sunday, do doctors induce on weekends? This is my first pregnancy so I have no idea :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As long as you and baby are healthy no they will not simply induce if you haven't gone into labor by your due date. Due dates can be off by as much as a few weeks. Some ladies go into their 41st or 42nd week before induction is considered.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• They usually wont unless you're a couple of weeks overdue, or there is a medical reason the baby needs to get out. however, it varies by doctor, so yours just might.

i got induced two weeks early, only because my blood pressure started to sky rocket.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• No they will not. They wait till you are 2 weeks past your due date. At least that is what most Dr do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• When it's time now for baby to be born, baby will come no matter date, induction, section, or no induction. Inductions when needed and not needed are done at any hour, any day.

Talk in depth to your doctors for how YOU WANT your birth experience to be.

My son was due early third week of may he was born later first week of june. So I was very much past my due date plus induced and sectioned.

Make a list of questions in a note book that you keep in your purse plus copy and keep in your hospital bag. You are allowed to question everything before labor, induction, section, delivery plus after Beautiful Baby born too!.

Congratulations!!! AWWWWW A GIRL How Sweet!!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• if you want them to you can talk them into it. especially if theres an underlying medical condition like high blood pressure or diabetes.

But dont. i did and I regret it. this is just a theory but i think that the issues my son had with digestion is because he simply wasnt ready to come out yet. Digestive issues in newborns will make them scream out in pain. it ill make you cry and wish out loud that there was something you could do to help.

I was induced and the had a c-section anyway. it really wasn't worth getting him out early.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Inducing is a bad idea, always. You will end up with a c-section in many cases. There is no such thing as a "due date" (look into how they determined a woman is pregnant for 40 weeks, it is the craziest math you've ever seen and is based on a 400 year old "theory," not actual science). A real, healthy pregnancy is anywhere from 38-42 weeks. Your baby might not even be ready to come out until the 28th -- there is no way you should talk induction until March 1st!!!
    Anonymous

• I just talked to my doctor about this issue. She would let me go to the end of the 41st week before induction would be scheduled and I will have a stress test done on baby during that week. I am due the 8th and induction is scheduled for the 18th. I would wait as long a possible unless you or baby start to have problems. A couple of my friends children have lung problems so try to wait it out as long as possible!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• khedy, you do realize the induction the 18th is not even 42 weeks (assuming your EDD is even accurate) , right?

Your doc may want to schedule induction, but I'd pass til I was 43 weeks or until I had a bad feeling about it / lower kick counts etc.. EDD's are EDD's because they are ESTIMATES... doctors call it your "due date" but don't forget the E part " ESTIMATED" due date. Estimated. Not written in stone where your placenta will automatically turn into a pumpkin just because you are or are not (remember it's an estimate) "past Edd" ... I suggest reading the book "Pushed" .. look it up on Amazon.
    Anonymous

• P.S. My estimated due date was february 10th last year and my son's bday is march 1st ;) Perfectly healthy boy.
    Anonymous

• GOOD doctors will not induce unless there is a medical need, which is rare. personally i would refuse induction if it came up unless it seemed that my baby's or my health was at risk and induction would be better. induction itself puts you and your baby at risk so the reason should be a good one. not past due date, not baby seems big, not i want baby here before christmas, etc.
    Anonymous