Ok, I know I am going to go crazy but what is there to do...

My uncle's gf asked me to babysit tomorrow. Kinda irritated because it is the only full day I have with my son because he doesn't go to school on Fridays and I have to work wkds. I wanted to say heck no but I didn't want to be mean. Anyways, the last time I watched him (same age as my son... 6) all he wanted to do was playing the playstation. My son got really upset and I got irritated because he wouldn't do anything else. He said "I'll be bored if I'm not playing the game" My question is "What can I have them do tomorrow so my cousin isn't sitting infront of the playstation all day?" I am from a small town with no malls, no arcade, nothing for kids "

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have them go outside and play baseball, basketball....soemthing like that. Don't "let" him play the game. Tell him it's broken. LOL My son is like your son. He has all the games, but, he would not sit and play it 24/7. Play board games. Have them make homemade pizzas and cookis..Anything to occupy their time beside the game.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• First of all, just don't let him play. Tell him today is a "game free' day and you guys have to think of some other stuff. Go online to Crayola.com or dltk_kids.com - they have some fun activities to do. Printable coloring pages, crafts, etc. Cook or bake something with them. Kids love that stuff. Have them go outside and pretend - do you have a swing set? Even if you have snow, the swings are fun. My kids slide head first into the snow - they think it is awesome!! You don't have to go anywhere or do anything extravagant to get a kid away from the video game. Also, you shouldn't have to entertain them all day long. He needs to learn to use his imagination!! :) Help him along that path by NOT letting him play the video game. My nephew is like that, but he knows when he comes to our house, the video game is limited. He can not play it all day like he does at home. Not to say he CAN'T play at all - just limit his time.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Put the PlayStation away... hide it. Then it's not an option!! Tell your uncle to have him pack a back pack of things he likes to do & might want to share/do with your son. Tell him your house/your rules... and if PlayStation is not an all day event in your house then that's the way it's going to be.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My answer would have been..."Well, then, I guess you're just going to have to be bored!"
    What a brat! LOL!
    Jeanyus

Answer by Jeanyus at 11:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• crayola.com has great things to do, but you would have sit there too to make sure other sites and machines aren't used.

Have kids read a book and put on a play - take pictures for families.

Bake with them, a pie - cookies, a cake. Bake ahead to freeze now just to keep them busy.

Let them build a fort with sofa cushions and blankets - you give them the cushions and blankets, set up card tables as rooves.

Give them water bottles with light detergent in them and have them scrub, the bathroom. When my son was that he he LOVED to wear a scarf over his mouth and nose and sunglasses, rubber gloves (sub winter gloves even) when hischore was to clean bathroom.

Mix up all this at different intervals during the day, giving an hour and a half for each 'project' so they don't get bored.

Six year old boys can be very strong - tell them you really REALLY need their help rearranging some gloves and boots or boxes of kids
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• In the event he has a major meltdown(which hopefully he won't)....You could compromise. If you know he's going to be there, say for 4 hours, the first three hours let him know that you will be doing other things and that if he participates when it's 3:00(whatever an hour before he leaves is) he'll be able to play with his cousin on the PS. But if he doesn't participate there will be no PS and stick to your guns. Because if you cave and give into him, he'll know next time(although I personally wouldn't let there be a "next time") he comes over you mean business.

I'm just thinking of the "what if" in this situation. LOL
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• i would just put it up. dont give in. if he wants to pout or throw a fit about it, have him go to another room so that he isn't ruining your day. seems to me that there should be other things that he can do...ie. play with your son....if he doesn't want to play with your son, make sure your son knows that he doesn;t have to play with him either.

i guess i react poorly when i am given attitude about things like that.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• oh, and i liked jeanyus...that is something i would have said as well. :-)
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2010