Do you get annoyed when you want to buy something and the clerk wants your phone number and zip code, etc?

Every time I shop at Motherhood Maternity, they want my phone number, and then verify my address. I just want to swipe my card and go. What do they do if you decline to answer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They don't do anything. They are asking for your phone number and your zip code for marketing purposes.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• It is your right, you don't have to answer.

Your address that is a new one.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I got that at MM and Toys R Us. Even Bath and Body. I don't give out that information anymore.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Just be polite it is not the clerks fault.

Say I would rather not say.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I don't like it either. It feels invasive. But I wouldn't think it would be required, so if you don't want to give that info out, just politely decline. I think I will from now on too :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• i used to work at elder beerman, and it was required for them to give us their phone number. the computer wouldn't complete the sale without it. sorry though, i have no idea why it's like that.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:55 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• just say no thanks. it is there job to ask. but you dont have to say anything, and the salesperson most likely wont care. somewhere like nordstrom though... it isnt for marketing. they keepo a file of everything. it is good to be in their system. for both you and them. it will make returns/exchanges/ infornation about who was helping you, ect. a breeze.
    Anonymous

• I give them my zip code, but decline the phone number. I always just say "No thank you" or "I prefer to not give you my phone number." Nobody ever said BOO about it. They have to ask and don't care if I don't give it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• no, I just say no thank you

Answer by rkoloms at 5:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• They are the worst! I got all my maternity stuff there and they wanted my freakin' life story. It took so long!!!! They really just want to get statistical data on their customers for research on marketing, etc. IF they know where their clientele lives, they can get a general idea of who their shoppers are. It's kind of shady in a way, but in some ways it's nice b/c they send coupons!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2010