Has anyone had a child that was injured at school?

My 8th grader was recently injured at school during phy ed. The students were playing floor hockey and she was hit with a stick in the eye. She required 5 stitches in her eyelid and is severely swollen and black and blue. I know it was an accident, but floor hockey is inherently dangerous and we believe the kids should have at least had protective eyewear or helmets on. There was no protective equipment. I don't believe in "suing" but the school should perhaps be held accountable for the medical bills that will be coming for her care.... what do you think?? what would you do?? please reply, thanks so much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Health

• If you told doctor that it happened during school time, an organized sport, which it did, very likey your own insurance company will counter claim the school.

I've had kids injuried in organized sports teams after school hours and our insurance has always called for information on the opposing insurance company to counter for payment or reimbursement. No insurance company really wants to pay for any patient. And if it's the fault of another student unsupervised or supervised or a coach, a gym teacher that has their own insurance very likely they'll be hearing from your own insur. co.

Hope she feels better!!!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I agree. Plus, when you are in 8th grade, there's the humiliation factor. When I was in 10th grade, I got hit in the eye with the hockey puck. The only thing worse than the pain was knowing everyone in gym class stopped what they were doing and was looking at me!.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• zoe my first grader got popped in the eye by another studen with a chair and i wasn't even notified! they put her on the bus like that and never even called me. it didn't requrie stitches or anything but i went to the school the next day and no one in the office even knew, the teacher didn't tell them. she got in trouble.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• i got hurt a lot in gym especially in middle school. even dodge ball is dangerous when your playing against boys that play baseball. i always hated playin lacross. lol. it just happens.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 12:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My oldest busted half her 2 front teeth off shortly before Christmas in PE. The school has an insurance policy that pays for 100% of any injury occuring on school grounds during school hours - as should any school. Turn in the bill(s) to the office, they need to turn them in to their insurance. We never even saw a bill, because the dentist's office knew what happened & what school she goes to (we live in a rural area, there aren't many schools).
    Anonymous