How do I get my baby back to sleep w/out picking him up?

What do you do when your baby wakes up in the middle of the night? We just started to let him cry it out two nights ago with great success, but he woke up last night and it wasn't his normal feeding time. We share a room with him and the last thing we want to hear is him crying at 11 pm & 4:30 (his normal feeding time). What do I do?

lolita511

Asked by lolita511 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try patting him, and if that doesn't do it pick him up and cuddle him.
    Anonymous

• Well you really have to think about what age baby is at. They could be waking up because of growth spurt and needing to eat. You can try those sound machines to help. But I am also one that will get up when they are babies and see what they need they are young and can not tell you what is wrong with them.
    Anonymous

• Never let a baby cry it out. Biologically a babies cries are irritating so that the baby's needs will be met. Not only is it neglect but babies have died from cry it out.

You feed your baby when the baby is hungry. If your baby is breastfed you can feed on demand for as long as the baby wants. If your baby is formula fed you need to watch and make sure you don't give too many calories every 24 hours for your baby's weight. You can find that info on charts your baby's doctor should have given you. You can't feed formula babies as much as they want. You have to learn other ways to mother.

Don't want to hear him crying, tuck him in bed next to you. Human babies are supposed to sleep next to their mothers and nurse often during the night. Mother and baby's sleep cycle get in sync and the mother doesn't even notice that the baby has woke her to nurse.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• If my daughter cries and it's not close to her normal feeding time, I give her her pacifier and if we aren't in bed yet (her crib is in our bedroom), I will turn on the crib mobile. If she still cries, I check her diaper and if it's wet, I change it. If not and she still cries, I'll pick her up and feed her.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• First of all its ok to let them CIO. Not for hours but its ok in short increments. Crying actually helps keep the lung clean(per a neonatologist). Just get up and rub your babys back. Do not pick him up.
    Now if he is used to getting up and eating at those times go ahead and feed him. If he has slept through the night lately then do the back rubbing. It lets him know you are there. Good luck!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Crying does NOT keep lungs clean. It does nothing but distress and produce mucous and snot. He is six months old in a major groth spurt...pick him up feed him at night! He is behaving normally. Patterns of sleep change in babies and don't really settle until age three or four...occasionally earlier. He will wake for growth spurts, for teething pain, and for major developmental milestones (such as learning to roll over or pull up). If he goes back to sleep after a cuddle and a feed, then that IS sleeping well!

It is you who has to adapt. We all would like more sleep, but parenting doesn't end at sundown, KWIM? Babies cry for a reason, and it is necessary to figure out what that is because they can't do for themselves. Imagine what it would be like to be stuck in a bed and you were trying to communicate something important and all you got was a pat on the head? That's what it is like for babies.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I hate to tell you, but your CIO method wasn't a great success because you changed his sleeping pattern by adding a stressor. He woke up distressed when before he only woke to feed.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• You didn't mention his age but haven't you ever gotten hungry when it wasn't your feeding time? I think crying it out is horrible. If you know for a fact he's not hungry and not wet/dirty or in pain then try patting/rubbing his back. If he continues to cry then there is another problem. Figure out what it is. The last thing you want to do is hear your baby cry every 5.5 hours? He should be eating every 4 hours at the most. Losing sleep is what parents of babies do.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• He's only 6 months old! Among other things, it's a classic age for a growth spurt - feed the poor baby! He's too young to cio - he needs attention, he needs *something* if he's waking up! Get up and take care of him - don't try to force a baby of that age back to sleep without picking him up. Just because he has a "normal feeding time" doesn't mean he can't get hungry at other times too at this age! My youngest was still waking up 3-4 times a night at 6 months old - and I got out of my bed, picked him up, and cared for whatever his needs were, whether it was a bottle, cuddling, diaper change, or just a pacifier. They're too young to cio at 6 months old.
    Anonymous

• I fed him when he woke up both times. I patted his back and he eventually got back to sleep. He has only CIO for 20 minutes & last night was 7 minutes. You guys are acting like I am a monster. I know my son and he probably woke up at 11 due to my LOUD snoring. I have sever sleep apnea. Anyways, thanks for your feedback..............
    lolita511

Answer by lolita511 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2010