I am losing it.....

My son is not sleeping anymore... I swear he HATES to sleep. I Put him in his room at 8:30 - he's not falling asleep til 9:30 -10:30 then waking at least 3 times...the more I go to comfort him, the more he wakes. sometimes its bad dreams, sometimes he just calls my name til I come in and he will go back to bed, if I don't go in he won't stop calling me til he works himself up to hysterical. the last 2 nights it been where he woke almost every hour. I lost is last night and we battled each other for almost 2 hours from 2am to 4am... I feel like such SH*T today for it.. I can't live on 3 hours sleep again... how is he doing it????he has dark circles under his eyes.. nothing ever seems to be the matter either. Should I call the DR, I keep hearing this is normal for 2 to 3 year olds but It can't be??? he's 28 months.. he's not crabby either when he is up... but I am..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• all the monsters away and to help him sleep. Tell him a story to help him calm down and ease into a more relaxed state. Play lullabye music, get him a "lovey"(stuffed animal or fave toy) Is there any stress in your home at this time? do you argue at all with hubby once a week or more? He may not understand why you are arguing and it's his fear of that maybe? Not sure.

Just hang in there momma. It will get better. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• my son went through that at that age. it does get better.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Welcome to the world of parenting. I have survived on less sleep than that, and so have other mothers, i promise you this will soon pass. LOL It feels like hell at the moment, but trust me days like your having I would nap when my kids would eventually nap and lay with them so they would sleep a wee bit longer.

My twins are now six, and before they go to bed they have this nightly ritual of going to the sink getting a cup, filling it with crushed ice(this started when they were sick last year and now they HAVE to have crushed ice), running upstairs to bed and going to sleep. Maybe find something that is routine for him, something that he can do ONLY before bedtime. Heck, try the crushed ice thing even LOL who knows? Maybe buy him a bedtime cup(not sippy cup) and let him fill it with "sleepy water"(regular water in a pitcher you can put stickers on or something) and tell him that he has to have his sleepy water to keep...(cont
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Thank you.. we have actually a bedtime chart I made since bedtime has always been an "issue" but he was doing so good, then got sick 3 months ago and thats when he was in a crib and I held his hand through the rails and slept there for almost a week - 1/2 of which he was throwing up for - and as unrealistic as it sounds, me and my husband actually never fight :) he has had a couple nightmares about his brown shoes and cookies. lol!! My husband thinks it could be habit waking to get reassurance I am there, but I need to be there for my son if he NEEDS me, I just dont' know where to draw a line maybe? Lately his bedtime "special" thing is a bandage sicne he's going through the bandage phase but now he ends up losing them at night and wanting more and I am not doing that either.. so last night I put a stop to that ,.. I feel like a monster!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My 2nd son used to have problems sleeping. One thing we did was spray 'monster B gone spray' (air freshener) around the room, under the bed, in the closet- and that was to keep the monsters away. We also put a night light in his room (he did not like the dark). Our 1 cat liked to sleep in the kids room-- and that also helped. Have you thought about buying a white noise machine (or cd player) and play soothing sounds (or classical music)? Have you thought about sleeping with one of his favorite toys for a few nights -and let it get your scent, and then give it to your son to sleep with?
    My friend had a daughter who had sleep issues- they did a sleep chart and each night she slept she got a sticker, and then for every X stickers she would get a prize or reward. This really helped.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• i am so sorry i wouldnt know what to tell you other then.... sleep charts work. i used them to keep my son in his own bed all night. you could explain it to him. that even if he doesnt sleep he needs to be quiet in his room so that you can sleep so that mean mommy doesnt come out.... and expect him to just stay there all night (CIO if necessary) if you cant handle that emotionally. get him to a different doctor that recognises that as a problem and not normal and gets him some meds/ therapy to help.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2010