I am losing it.....

My son is not sleeping anymore... I swear he HATES to sleep. I Put him in his room at 8:30 - he's not falling asleep til 9:30 -10:30 then waking at least 3 times...the more I go to comfort him, the more he wakes. sometimes its bad dreams, sometimes he just calls my name til I come in and he will go back to bed, if I don't go in he won't stop calling me til he works himself up to hysterical. the last 2 nights it been where he woke almost every hour. I lost is last night and we battled each other for almost 2 hours from 2am to 4am... I feel like such SH*T today for it.. I can't live on 3 hours sleep again... how is he doing it????he has dark circles under his eyes.. nothing ever seems to be the matter either. Should I call the DR, I keep hearing this is normal for 2 to 3 year olds but It can't be??? he's 28 months.. he's not crabby either when he is up... but I am..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would say try giving him some time to wind down. Inform him of what is going on. Say bedtime in 1 hour, bedtime in 45 minutes, bedtime in 35 minutes and so on, while winding things down.

I am glad that things have been better!! I know about those long hours and nights. Q just got done with school he had class from 6 pm to 10 pm every night except Friday, Saturday and Sunday! Things will get better. I promise, one of these days he will sleep all the way through the night constantly. Just hang in there, I know its hard, been there done that!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My oldest twin never slept. I mean it even caused developmental delay because he never slept. I told his Doctor many times but I guess he just didn't take me seriously. Finally one day I went to his Doctor and told him that something is seriously wrong and we need help. We never found out what was wrong with him but now he finally sleeps through the night. He didn't start until he was two and now he is three and a half. He is in speech and occupational therapy. I feel so bad whenever I look at him though because he is really pasty looking and has the dark circles under his eyes. I would say contact your Doctor and maybe melatonin?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• OMG I just looked and realized it was you!!! Max STILL isn't sleeping!? I thought things were getting better?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Well he was, then he won't, then he will do good, then wake 1 time a night then we went through a good spell of like 5 months of him sleeping all night and just waking at 5am .... now for 3 months its every night and sometimes only once he wakes and then it can go to every hour on the hour.. that's why I never really stress it as a have to fix issue at his appt's.. I've brought it up many times but hear the same old, its common, just read this or that. try this method or that method so I do.. it works, then it doesnt. the more I go in there, the more he wakes FOR me to go in there. I don't know what to do.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• MY DD IS 3 1/2 .....SHE HAS SLEPT HORRIBLY SINCE HER BIRTH,FOR HER FIRST 6 MONTHS SHE WOKE UP EVERY 2 HOURS , AND SHE KINDA LEARNED TO SLEEP FOR LONGER BUT NOW SHE IS 31/2 AND SHE STILL WAKES UP A FEW TIMES A NIGHT! SHE DOESN'T HAVE ANY DEVELOPMENTAL DELAYS ,AND I HAVE GOTTEN USED TO IT ! I STILL HAVEN'T HAD A NIGHT THAT SHE SLEPT ALL NIGHT SHE ALWAYS WAKES UP! SHE DOESN'T TAKE NAPS AND SHE SLEEPS IN HER BED ,I JUST HAVE TO GET UP IF SHE CALLS FOR ME OR SHE COMES TO MY BED !
    Anonymous

• my kids are like that too... now that my daughter is 3 she is doing it better...but my son ( 1 year old) ...will sleep for like 2 hours at a time...wake up for about 3 ...back to sleep, back awake.... and now for the last couple of weeks he has been waking my daughter up too.... so I get no sleep at all, because when he goes to sleep...she is awake.... I usually get to sleep around 5:30 or 6 and back up around 9.....i have such big bags under my eyes...I can hide stuff in them !!!
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Yes, we have had conversations about the Doctors. I am sorry that you are having such a hard time again. I know it is like a roller coaster ride with you and Max. What does Dad say?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• 1. Use up as much of his energy during the day as you can.
    2. Start a nighttime routine .. Dinner, Bath, Read a book, drink, bed. Maybe a snack before bed if you want.
    3. Put him to bed tired, but not asleep. Give him a favorite blanket or stuffed animal to snuggle with if he needs it.
    4. Tell him "Goodnight, Johnny, Mommy (And Daddy?) loves you."

Just keep consistant with the routine. If I put my son to bed at 8:00 he will be up at 2am asking for a bottle. I have found that putting him to bed at 11 pm not only helps him sleep through the night, but he wakes up happier in the morning. He goes to bed a lot easier when I put him to bed later as well. Yes, that gives me less time to myself at night, but I'd rather sleep through the night and wake to a happy toddler.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Dad says he thinks I am making it a habit now by going to him when he calls for me - we started giving him a blue light nightlight when he was 18 months which was what helped him start sleeping through the night and not crying himself to sleep everynight. Now dad says that is what is keeping him up he thinks, because he can see he can stay active. could be, but its a complete metldown if I take it and as someone who still is afraid of the dark, I don't want to scare the crap out of max either. the more I go to him, the more he wakes for me to go to him. If I don't go to him, he crys til he's sweating and then no one will fall asleep if they are sweating ... the later I try to put him to bed, the earlier he wakes So like, 10 pm, he will wake at 3am, and that is when he was sleeping through the night - so now add that in and I have zombie's.We have what I thought was a great routine, but maybe I need to update it a bit
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• What are you all doing right before bedtime? With our kids we start putting them to bed an hour before we expect them to go to bed. We start out by making them clean up. Then we turn the lights out except one low watt bulb. They are allowed one not so stimulant toy to play with and we turn on the sleepy time baby einstein dvd. We then put them in bed and they are usually out within minutes. Kind of like cooling down after a workout, slowly de-stimulate (is that even a word?) him.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2010