to anyone with little girls:kind of personal.

well over the past few weeks my 5 yr old has been sleeping with her hands in her panties. she doesnt like fall asleep like that i guess she puts them in there over night. i dk why. i dont want to think shes doing something there. shes so little. ive read that kids do have feelings in their privates but i didnt think she would explore. it kinda of irritates me bcause sometimes she likes to get up and go to our bed and her hands have this kind of smell and i know what she was doing and she wants to touch the baby etc. i told her this morning after waking her up with her hands in her pants that she has to stop doing that. i dk if that was the right thing to do. i adked her why she was dong that and she just looked at me and didnt answer. i hope someone out there has gone through and can give me some insight on what to do or what to tell her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I started masturbating before I was even in school, I didn't know that's what it was htough. It didn't involve my hands, so, no issue there. It didn't make me anymore sexually active, or do it to others or become a deviant if that is what you are concerned with. She is only doing it while alone and inher room, so, just tell her to wash her hands when she has had them in her underwear. It good that she knows she can satisfy herself. Because when she is older, if she only thinks a mans penis can give her that feeling, she might be more inclined to seek it out. Don't make her feel bad about it. It is a natural thing that society has made people/girls feel bad about. Sex and exploration is not a bad or evil thing.
    Anonymous

• No ideas for stopping it, but you are not alone. My 2 year old does it sometimes.
    Anonymous

• Do not get after her for it. That will only make her feel bad about herself. Just tell her she needs to wash her hands when she is done. Kids do it becuase they are exploring and it feels good. Just ignore it and if she does it anywhere then her room tell her it is a pravite thing we do and we do that in our room.
    Anonymous

• It is normal I would just have her wash her hands when she gets up
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• It's normal. You can't stop it. And don't make her feel ashamed. Just let her know that it's something to be done in private, and that obviously she is going to need to wash her hands.

She doesn't know it's anything adults consider "sexual" , she just knows that she found this thing that feels nice.
    Anonymous

• thanks everyone. i knew i wasnt going the right route with this. your answers def helped me feel mor at ease,.
    Anonymous

• i used to catch my oldest masturbating when she was 3 years old! dont make it a bad thing. make sure she knows she needs to be in her room or the bathroom, somewhere private. keep some hand sanitizer in your room so when she comes in there you can have her clean her hands.
    Anonymous

• anon :27 is right on!!
    Anonymous

• It's natural. It's her body and she has every right to explore it. Toddlers start investigating down there and it's natural. They have the same sensations as toddlers as they do when they're older. Just now they don't know what it means, only how it feels. Don't get mad at her for doing it, because that will only make her feel like she's doing something wrong. She's not. She's doing it in her private time, and that's good. Boys usually shove their hand down their pants wherever they are. And you have to let them know that, that's something you do in private.

Again, it is her body and she has every right to explore it. You probably did as well when you were her age. There's nothing wrong with it, it's perfectly natural. Making her feel bad about it will cause adverse reactions. She'll feel as though it's wrong to touch herself, and that could lead to disabled sexual emotions when she's older.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2010