here's a good reason NOT to feed your kid packaged baby food

http://healthandfitness.sympatico.ca/News/ContentPosting?newsitemid=032893823&feedname=CP-HEALTH&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=True

a brief quote from the article:
"" Gerber, one of the best-known names in baby food, has been named this year's recipient of the "Salt Lick Award" due to the high sodium content in one of its prepared meals for toddlers.

The Canadian Stroke Network and the Advanced Foods & Materials Network chose Gerber Graduates Lil' Entrees because the product line's Chicken & Pasta Wheel Pickups dinner contains 550 mg of sodium - more than half a toddler's adequate daily intake of 1,000 mg.

The organizations say the amount of sodium in the prepared food is equivalent to that contained in two medium orders of McDonald's french fries. McDonald's Canada website says a medium order of fries contains 270 mg of sodium.""

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• "Salt-Lick Award" LOL Dang...that's terrible. My son at stage one for a month then homemade food, so, he didn't get any of that. And salt is and acquired taste...no wonder. My son doesn't care for much salt. Maybe because he didn't get much of it. I wonder?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Yeah, you can taste the salt in it! I gave it to dd once and it was too expensive and salty to continue. Dd has been eating off my plate now for well over a year. It's easier and she can handle it! However I've gotten used to not adding any spices to anything...
    Anonymous

• I didn't need an article to tell me this. Almost ALL packaged foods have added amount of salt, preservatives, etc to help maintain the flavor and freshness.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• you don't need the answer...but do you know how many moms buy that crap for their kids and think its actually HEALTHY?
    Anonymous

• "Gerber, one of the best-known names in baby food, has been named this year's recipient of the "Salt Lick Award" due to the high sodium content in one of its prepared meals for toddlers."

Because it's so much better for parents to feed their kids the crap they eat. I see posts on here all the time about moms giving their babies and toddlers coffee, soda and all kinds of junk food. "Everything in moderation" is the new way to make sure your child is healthy.

I'd choose Gerber over any adult frozen meal or canned good.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• That's why my kids ate table food. Those little "meals" are so expensive, and not as nutritious as some people think they are - it's so easy to read a label people, and see for yourself they're not as great as you think! My kids never had one of those put in front of them - they ate the meals the rest of the family ate. Any of the pre-packaged meals and convenience foods are insanely high in sodium, it's crazy, I have to watch it so close because of my own health so I watch it for my kids' sake too.
    Anonymous

• My daughter loves those meals. They are great for the days when my food just isn't suitable for her. A day or two of high salt isn't going to kill her in the grand sceme of things. Plus, the other meals aren't as bad. And it's not the only option. It is a great convience from time to time, though.
    Anonymous

• The Gerber, and other brands, of "baby food" doesn't have salt, or sugar - that's referring to the toddler meals. I don't feed them to my kids anyway - never thought to because they are high priced but jarred stage 1, 2, 3 baby food is not bad for kids.

Answer by missanc at 2:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Yikes! Thankyfully we don't get these... we actually tried one this past weekend I tasted it it and it WAS salty and DS wouldn't eat it anyway.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Agree with missanc. You call it baby food, but you're acutally talking about the graduates toddler meals.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010