is it neglectful to put my baby in the playpen while i take a shower?

she is super clingy and wont let me put her down without screaming about it, but i need to take care of me too. is it bad to let her cry for 15 or 20 min while i take a shower?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 12:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it's not.
    Put the playpen in front of her favorite movie with a bunch of her favorite toys. Hopefully that will distract her. Plus, the more you do things like this and allow her to play on her own, the better chance you have of her becoming more independent.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• No.
    Anonymous

• give her tons of toys and things and then go have your shower - put the playpen in your room or right outside the bathroom and leave the door open so you can talk to her while you shower.
    Anonymous

• Go for it! A mommy needs some personal time. If that means the baby cries for 20min, it wont kill her, and its not the end of the world.
    Anonymous

• 15 to 20 minutes alone in another room? Yes. bring the baby to the bathroom with you and put her on the floor on a blanket or in an infant chair that way you can keep an eye on the baby while you get your shower.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Nope, as long as she is within earshot no problem with that at all. our bathroom was attached to our bedroom so i would toss my kids in the crib(well not TOSS LOL..YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN LOL) and go shower. I put on the tv and they were content with some toys and tv.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• no but why not wait until she's taking a nap so it won't stress her out thinking you are abandoning her? If that's not an option then at least keep the door open and talk or sing to her so she doesn't think she's alone. BTW, they say showers shouldn't be over 10 min. It strips your natural oils so compromise and take a short shower so she doesn't choke on her crying and screaming.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• nope but make sure you have a baby monitor with you in case she chokes or something .
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Not at all.
    I leave the door open so I can see them and hear them (for the most part) when I do that. I had a child that never wanted put down, even to sleep, and I got tired of feeling sweaty and smelling bad. I had to learn to put him down and take that needed shower.
    Anonymous

• like i said super clingy. she naps wit me next to her and wakes almost immediatly when i try to get up. so nap time is pretty much out. i can see her crib in my room from the bathroom, so that would be fine right?
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2010