If I have my high school diploma, what is my next step to becoming an RN?

I have the opportunity to go back to school and haven't looked into it at all. Does anyone know what I need to do? I never took my SAT/ACT's

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in

• Definitely go see a counselor at a school, and find out what you'll need to do. Community colleges are a good option because they are about 1/3 the price. You can apply for grants, loans, and scholarships. The school's financial aid office should be able to give you leads on scholarships. I've gotten one the last three times I applied. You could do a four year nursing program (usually at a university) or a two year program (usually at a community college. Either way, you come out of it with your R.N. You will have about a year of pre-requisites to do before you start the program. I've been working on my two year R.N. degree for four years now, but a lot of that was part time. I will graduate next December. You can always pursue the RN-BSN program later. If you get the Associate's Degree R.N. you can go to work sooner. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• You'll need to take either an SAT or ACT before you can get into a college program. You need to see what the colleges in your state require. I only needed an ACT. Set up an appointment with a guidance counselor at a local college. They will be able to help you with applications and courses.
    Anonymous

• if you go to a community collge you can take an entrance exam to be placed-- once you complete any remedial work you apply to the nursing program... if you do not require remedial work you'll get right in but you'll need a bio and chem class to co inside with the RN course work
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 1:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Go to the community college in your area and talk to a councelor. There are many classes tha you have to take before even applying for the RN program. Find out what is required there and make a plan and get started. :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• OP here

How long is the RN program?
    Having no college courses now, how many semesters of prerequisites do you think I'll have to take?
    Anonymous

• my friend grad. from nursing school, i believe it was either 2 or 3 yrs. she had to take anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, medical terminology. it took her about 6yrs bet. college and nursing school
    Anonymous

• go see a guidance couselor at a community college. These is going to be the easiest and shortest way. You do not need the ACT/SAT for this route. You would then start with the required generals to apply for the program. Every state is different so go to your local college. It can take a while between the program which is usually a 2 yr associates degree and whatever the generals are. Out in Az typically takes close to 2 years and some RN programs have waits. I am doing Medical Radiography which had a HUGE wait and I barely started in Aug.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

Next question in
Getting my GED online?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
total crap!