Mirena...Big blood clot

I've had Mirena now for 9 moths. A few months ago my periods finally started to get lighter and fewer between. I just got off of aunt flo about a week ago. Suddenly last night I realized I was bleeding! I was like, what in the world? Whatever, I put in a tampon and went to bed. Now this morning I took it out, it had alot of very dark blood in it, and when I wipe out came a big, dark, blood clot. This hasn't ever happened to be before, and it has left me wondering what is going on and if it's related to the Mirena. Your input will be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Health

• I have a Mirena too and I don't think the clot is anything to really worry about. When blood leaves the uterus slowly it tends to clot and glob up. I would only be concerned if you started bleeding heavily and/or passing several clots in a short period of time. The clot you passed was probably just old blood that had been collecting while you weren't having a period. I bleed every few months and it's usually that nasty brown color of old blood. I'd say it's nothing to worry about!
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 4:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2010