Obama's remarks at the National Prayer breakfast, agree?

"Surely you can question my policies without questioning my faith, or, for that matter, my citizenship," Obama said, at the annual National Prayer Breakfast in Washington.

During his 2008 election campaign, some arch-conservative voices claimed Obama's birth certificate, showing him born in Hawaii in August 1961 was faked, and that the first African American president was born abroad.

Yes, there are causes that move our hearts and offenses that stir our souls," Obama said, at the breakfast at a top Washington hotel.

"But progress doesn't come when we demonize opponents. It's not born in righteous spite. Progress comes when we open our hearts, when we extend our hands, when we recognize our common humanity.

"This erosion of civility in the public square sows division and distrust among our citizens. It poisons the well of public opinion. It leaves each side little room to negotiate with the other."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe most of the women here didn't even read the remarks. They saw "Obama said...." and immediately replied "Ugh! Such lip service! Hypocrite!"

Deliberately missing the point, eh?

BTW, I agree with his statements.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• What did they serve for breakfast??
    Anonymous

• I completely agree with him, I hope others do too.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I wish he would take his own advice, as well as pass it on to a few members of Congress.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• "But progress doesn't come when we demonize opponents
    ----------------------------------------
    I believe he is mincing his words again.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Well, I refuse to be CIVIL while strapped to a sinking ship. I do not have to sit quietly by while this administration sows debt my children and grandchildren will be reaping.

I don't know if he is a citizen or not. I honestly have more important things to worry about. I do think there has to be some problem with the birth certificate. Otherwise, they would have released a copy of the long form (the kind you use when you get a passport) instead of spending 2 million dollars on lawsuits about it.

Parts of the statement are correct, but unless the speaker is following them they are merely lip service.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Jesus. Was he looking in a mirror or the teleprompter reflection?? Doesnt it sound so civil. Too bad he is rwo faced....yes just like EVERY other politician. But I dont see the point in praising these words when he is being SUCH a hypocrite. They are really gra=eat WORDS. I will give you that. And had I watched it they were probably spoken most eloquently....as all good con men do. I would like to take a moment and point out tho that yes we can still question ANYTHING we want about him. We can question his policies. We can question weather he shows strength of character by lying about his supposed faith (if we choose, I dont really care, its OTHER lies that bother me more), AND we can EVEN have vast off the wall conspiracy theories....aint America GREAT!!?? :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• And some needs to explain to him that not demonizing and opening our hearts does NOT mean just nodding and agreeing with him. I find the dems saying WE WANT to negotiate but if you dont do it OUR way we are going to do it anyway" CRAZY. How is THAT negotiating. OR "go along with us or ELSE you are the party of NO" WTH? How about THIS the DEMS just go along with what the REPUBS say and THEN everyone agrees! SEEE how SILLY that sounds! omg...hypocrites!!
    momof030404

• Im thinking hand that man a mirror PRONTO he is soo full of lip service garbage it is pathetic..he is reflecting is all ..wth has he done ever since he started running for office and is still doing? Demonizing the last guy and republicans...

Are you kidding me sweet? LOL geesh
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Classic case of do as I say not as I do
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2010