Muslim Ladies...another question about the Hijab...

OK, I know you must wear one on public, and that the only males allowed to see you without one are your husband, father, brother(s), and son(s). (Correct?)

But what about other WOMEN? What are the rules there?

Say you invited me, a non-Muslim woman, over to your home for coffee? or your child(ren) and my daughter had a playdate?

Are you required to wear Hijab IN YOUR HOME, around my daughter and/or me?

Thank you.

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with muhajjirah, only if you think that she will talk about our appearance to a male. And I understand RissaBusch that it's just easier sometimes to leave it on, but it's not an obligation to leave it on...
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 9:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• No you don't have to wear in front of other women. Some say that they are still considering that you're supposed to because other non muslim women will go describe your hair in front of people and other women can be lesbians. but no u dont need to, i think they say its just better to. I don't know anyone who does and I consider myself a very religious muslim woman. feel free to pm me if u got anything else. I'll be glad to help.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I am not muslim but a had a friend who was. She took her's off when she came over for a sleepover we were having and omg I was amazed. But she did ask us to not describe her hair to others :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• hi. i'm a practicing muslimah. if i am invited to a friends house who's not muslim and i thought there might be a chance she might talk about my appearance to others, particularly males i would not remove my hijab. but if its a good friend who i trust i'd take it off.

Islam gives me the choice and authority to make such a decision infront of other non-muslim women. if i felt comfortable enough with someone to invite them into my living space, my home, and be with my own children- chances are i wouldn't have a problem taking my hijab off infront of her as well. but if i was in someone else's home who i thought might have her male relatives around i'd certainly be extra cautious and would prob keep it on even if i trusted her.

so it all depends..and Islam is totally cool with that either way. plz feel free to pm me.. :-)
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 3:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• It depends on the Muslimah :-) Some do and some don't but it's our choice. I usually do just because I usually got over to my friend's houses and I wear it to drive. It's just too much of a pain to put it on to get there, take it off at their house, and then put it back on to pray or leave. I just leave it on. If they come to my house I usually wear it just in case we go out or I've been out earlier in the day and didn't feel like taking it off.
    RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 4:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• If you were coming over to my house and I would not wear it. When I got out I always leave it on regardless of where I go even if I go to my Muslim sister's home. Just don't see any reason to take it off as it is comfortable.

I only care if a man sees me uncovered.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 6:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Why is it necessary to keep men from seeing your hair? I don't understand.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 9:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2010