~Catholic?Can someone tell me the proper Etiquette,how to do all the right things...

In my situation. My dh and I are about to join the church. I really want to make positive we make all the right moves. My ds and I will have our vow blessed and our children baptised. It will be the Sat before Easter. I was told here that it is custom to give a larger donation to the church at that time~I will do so. I also was wondering about gift giving for god parents and so forth. We want to have a reception. I would like advice as what you would do if you were in our situation. I want to make a good impression and for us not to overlook anything. Is there anything that I should remember NOT to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• we didnt give anything to the church but the normal tithes
    Anonymous

• These are really personal decisions that are up to each family. There aren't really rules and I sure people do all kinds of different things. Its nice to give a small gift to the godparents since they are doing so much to encourage your children its just a nice way to say thank you. I gave extra money to the church for my wedding and baptisms because the people and priest really put in so much work meeting with us several times before the service, but this is not necessary and no one at the church suggested it to us.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Congratulations!! It sounds like an exciting time for you. I understand that you want to make a good impression, but don't worry too much about it. If you want a donation to the church is a good thing. Gifts to godparents/sponsors are nice but not necessary. I assume that the convalidation of your wedding vows and the baptism will happen as part of the Easter Vigil mass - that's when things like that are usually done. If there are others invovled who are also being baptized/confirmed, the parish may have a reception for everyone after the Vigil Mass so you might want to look into that before you plan your own reception. If you family is having a separate ceremony, outside of the standard Vigil Mass, then you might want to consider tips for the alter servers who are helping out.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• There isn't an "initiation fee" to join the catholic church LOL so no need for extra donation. I don't know who told you that extra tithing is necessary, but from what I remember from being raised catholic is that people gave the altar boys money for serving funerals and weddings, but that was the only "extra" i remember as far as giving extra to the church goes.

It would be a nice gesture to get something for the Godparents. something like a personalized bible or a religious plaque with a sentiment of your thanks for taking on the responsibility of Godparents. It is a personal decision and all the questions you've asked more or less boil down to what you and hubby feel most comfortable doing. I'm also not saying you SHOULDN'T give extra to the church, i'm just saying it's not mandatory nor is it expected for you to do so. You can also invite the priest for the luncheon, if you have one.

Congratulations to your family.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I agree with the above posters, extra donations are nice but not necessary. For sure invite the priest to your reception.
    If you wanted to give something to the Godparents you could frame a nice photo of them and their godchild taken right after the ceremony (or during depending on the church) or have the children write them a letter or draw them a picture about why they love Jesus and frame that. It doesn't have to be expensive or flashy.
    Congratulations!
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2010