Should NC high schools throw out U.S. history to teach on evironmental issues?

IMO this is appalling to even think of doing ..Why would they want to toss aside History?

link below

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 2:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Because they want us to repeat history.
    I can't imagine kids not learning U.S. history.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• oops *environmental*
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• It's hard for people to make a stand against something if they never learn about it. Doesn't it make it easier to force pregressive ideas down lilttle ones throats that way? I mean if they never learn what we were founded on and what this Nation is really about then they can never really question things..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I'm from NC. I agree with a portion of their reasoning. I really don't think one year is long enough to cover from the Native Americans all the way until present time. I think they should split it into two years and just do two years of US History and combine it with the class we call ELP (economics, legal and political systems - basically a civics class) which would work well into a US History class. Many of our college bound highschoolers take a 2nd year of US History at the AP level anyway - why not just move the graduation requirements to 4 years of history instead of 3?

Answer by missanc at 2:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• If they want Federal and State money, they won't be able to.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I'm in NC and I think it's ridiculous.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• thats stupid. really, really stupid. they would be cutting out the most important parts of US History if the didnt start till 1877! most high schools make you take 3 years of social studies, so why not make it 4 like English classes? or throw it into a Govt or Civics class?

i guess most ppl dont remember 90% of what they learned in history class anyways...its just sad that they are even talking about doing this.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Of course they should. The dumber we keep the masses the more likely they will swallow the empty fluff of people like Obama.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• They are just taking what they started to the next level. They have been rewriting history for decades. Environmental studies belong in the science room, not the history / social studies room.

It is truly frightening what they are doing to our children in the government schools.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2010