teen abortions and parental consent

My state passed a law that said that teenager's can get abortion's without parental consent, and are now working on passing a law that requires parental notification for teen abortions that doesn't sound like it's going to pass.

As mothers, what are your views on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So what you are saying is that my CHILD can undergo a SERIOUS medical procedure, that has HUGE emotional consequences, withOUT me even knowing about it.....but they cant take tylenol at school? Yeah THAT makes sense. SOME of you need to decide if they are children or ARENT they. They can have an abortion (HUGELY EMOTIONAL AND LIFE ALTERING) without consent but cant get married? Uuummmm...ok? They are MATURE enough to make the decision to TAKE a life but NOY mature enough to be able to drink alcohol responsibly? PLEASE PLEASE explain how any of THAT makes sense. Its one thing to give an adult woman these rights its another to give them to a CHILD not equipped to handle this!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• clapping

Anonymous

• I support your states law. Teenagers us individuals have RIGHTS too. Why we the parents want to control their lives?

Anonymous

• I think it's messed up! How is that teaching them that sex has consequences that they will be held accountable for? I'd be devastated if I found out my daughter was pregnant as a teen. I think this means that parents need to open communication with their daughters a lot more. If they feel the need to get a secret abortion, there is something seriously wrong.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• In state of Alaska things are just opposite. Were you live?
    Anonymous

• I disagree with secret teen abortions. I feel like as a mother, I would like to help my daughter through her struggles. If she was in the position of wanting an abortion I would want to take her to a counselor to help her make sure she'll be able to live with her choice. I would also want to know all the risk's that go along with it, and to be able to take care of her while she recovered, and take her to the doctor to check her out and make sure she healed right, and get her on birth control.

I think it's sad that the law made if possible for teens to go through such a tough time without parental support, and made it possible for sexual abuser's to get a kid pregnant and then send them in for a secret abortion without the kids parents or even the police notified of what's going on. I'm also concerned that the teen could hemorrhage or get an infection and no one would know to get her help.

Anonymous

• I don't disagree with the law, cannot say that I am thrilled with the prospect of my children doing it without my knowledge, so we try to have an open and honest line of communication here. But HIPPA recognizes the legal rights of a sexually active person over the age of 16. And it does for good reason.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I agree with Momof. Our public school system doesn't allow a girl to self-medicate with Midol for cramps. But a major medical procedure, it's okay?

My friend's son was with the babysitter when he was hurt on the playground. The ER would not do stitches, or any kind of treatment, without parental consent.

Kids can't get a tattoo without parental consent, can't get their ears pieced without parental consent, but they can have an abortion?

I'm pro-choice. But teens are still children. Parental consent needed.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• So its okay for a teen to undergo an abortion which could cause serious mental, emotional, and PHYSICAL problems for her later on in life, but they need parental consent to get their ears pierced? How the hell does this make any sense?! If the child wants an abortion which is a MEDICAL PROCEDURE, parents have 120% the right to know about it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Anonymous In state of Alaska things are just opposite. Were you live?

Ha! I do live in Alaska. Now would be a good time to get informed. We're supposed to vote on it in November IF they get enough signatures.

Anonymous