Do I HAVE to potty train him?

My son will be two in May. All the Mom's at his playgroup are talking about how they are potty training their similar aged children. I don't feel my son is ready. Is there any real reason I should feel pressured to start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NOT AT ALL!!!!!!!

You absolutely have the right to wait until he is showing all the signs. If he isn't, it migh backfire and cause you and your little one undue frustration.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I waited until all 3 of mine turned 3. My son was closer to 3 1/2. It was so much easier. They all trained in 3 days. You do what you feel is right. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• You wait till you feel he is ready. If you push before he is ready you will make things harder later and just a lot of frustrantion and a unhappy child.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My husband has that WANT to attitude and our son is so clearly not ready - we tried it this past weekend and Yep, he's NOT ready,. he turned 2 in Nov. I am not worried about it, but I know that I even felt the pressure from "oh my son/daughter was already potty trained at his age"
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I'm reading a book about potty training right now, and the book keeps emphasizing that if YOU are not ready, then don't begin yet, b/c it will just lead to frustration and it will slow your son's progress. You are his mother and you know what is best for both you and him.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• i didn't potty train till 2 1/2...well ok i bought a potty when he was 2 and would put him on it every now and then but i didn't push it...it wasn't until 2 1/2 i put my foot down and actually did it. pullups are too expensive! lol. anyway, had him trained within 4 days
    Anonymous