5yr. old - Blood in stool and on t.p.

My 5yr. old had some red blood in his BM and on the t.p. after wiping this afternoon. He said that his poopy was big and it hurt his butt a little, but that nothing else hurt his butt. He otherwise seems okay. Should I call the Dr. right away, or wait and see if it happens again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like he is constipated. I would make sure he gets more fruit and vegatables in his diet. My grandson has big problems with constipation. We put benefiber in his drink everyday. No grit, no taste and it helps keep him moving regularly.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• He might have torn a tiny bit from a hard stool. It's pretty common, actually. I asked my doctor about it once when my oldest was 2 because he said the same thing. If it happens again or you notice a bunch of blood you should definitely call. Otherwise, it's probably nothing.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• if he had a big poop then thats what probly caused it i would just give it a few days and see how things go, If it is still the same then yes call the dr. No reason to put the kids threw anything just cause he had a big poop that probly hurt him a lil.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 8:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2010