15 month still wakes up at night!!

I know most sleep through the night well before this age. he still takes a bottle of milk or juice. some nights he sleeps the whole time, some he wakes up every two hours for a refill. It breaks my heart to let him cry it out....what do we do?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am sending you mommy hugs cause my son is 28 months and going through a not sleeping through the night anymore spell too and I am sad, tired and frustrated and can't let him cry either. HUGS mommy!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• thank you so much maxsmom
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• has he got all his teeth? he still may be teething....I thought when my daughter started sleeping through the night it was the end of the sleepless nights for me. NOT so true...lol They go through seperation anxiety and teething still! Start explaining to your little one that they have thier bed and you have yours and it's big boy/girl night night time. Night lights help too.
    Anonymous

• My son didn't sleep through the night until he was almost 3!! I know the feeling - good luck.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I am not trying to discourage, just offering suggestions - the fact my son isn't sleeping might not help but.. I have that blue vapor plug in nightlight cause I read blue was more calming, plus its not SO bright. I have a bedtime chart, which your son probably will like closer to 2 years old that I made for our routine. plus we have a routine. he has a white noise sounding air purifier in his room also -GL mommy
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My son is 6 months and my dr said he should be sleeping thru the night but he doesn't he wakes up almost every night between 2 and 3 to eat. She said to cut his late night feeding by 1/2 an oz every other night until you aren't giving them anymore. She also said try giving them an extra oz or two before bed. She said they might still wake up and fuss a little but they will go back to sleep. Its hard for me too to hear him cry, but he also doesn't cry for more than a couple min now cause he knows I'm not going to come in any more. Good Luck ladies.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My sons gave me a hassle around that age. I allowed them ONE milk bottle only. After that it was water! They were waking up for the milk, but didn't care for water - at least not enough to wake up. After a couple of nights, they were sleeping all night. Eventually they only got a sippy cup of water at bedtime.

Good luck!c
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Where did you get the idea that most babies sleep through the night by 15 months?

After you brush his teeth at night, the only beverage he should have is water; anything else, and you are risking tooth decay...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Check out No Cry Sleep Solutions for Toddlers and Preschoolers by Elizabeth Pantley from your library. In short, though, I would focus on getting him back to sleep without a drink -- this does not have to mean crying alone in his crib, but could mean crying in Dad's arms or maybe no crying but rocking... whatever you can do. I would bet if the drink were no longer there, after a few rough nights, he wouldn't bother waking so much. He may still need a little comfort in the night, but that's still better for his teeth and easier to phase out than multiple bottles of sugary liquid in the night.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2010