should i get my son tested?

my son is almost 10 months old. his father is dyslexic and has ADHD. Should i get my son tested for dyslexia and ADHD if so at what age should i get him tested. im just a little nervous that when he starts preschool and school if he is dyslexic hes going to get made fun of. can anyone help me.

DamiensxmommyxO

Asked by DamiensxmommyxO at 3:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he is too little to be tested yet honey. you should talk to your pediatrician about a time line
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Too little to be tested, but you can work on prevention now. One thing that research has shown to increase ADHD and decrease reading scores is TV/video watching at an early age. One way to try and help him early is to really restrict any screen time. Also, read to him and talk to him as much as you can! Sing and say nursery rhymes (the rhythm and rhyme are good language foundations for later reading).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• yup i have read about that too
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• He is too young to be test. Dyslexia will not be noticed till he is reading and writing. With my oldest I notice that when we are working her alphbet. If you had to many letters she would do that. But there is nothing you can do for dyxlexia other then let them know it is ok and they are doing the best they can. I have it and it is very frustrating at time. My oldest we think she has it but they can not test her till she is in first grade. It is easier to test them when they are reading. I don't know much about ADHD
    Anonymous

• I have to disagree with the "research" all my kids have watched tv from the time they were about 3 months, and not one has been diagnosed with ADHD or low reading scores...all of them are extremely bright children.(just saying this to make a point, not bragging here LOL). It's easier to blame an electronic device rather than the lazy parent who sits the kid in front of a tv for 8 hours a day and doesn't interact with their child on a daily basis. There have been days i'm just too busy cleaning or running around and my kids DS and tv shows have been life savers. Does that make me a bad mother, heck no! Does it mean i don't spend time with them? nope...that would be a poor assumption too.

Sati's right, he's too young to be tested, so don't worry yourself over it right now. Read to him every day, work on colors and shapes and all the fun stuff. Have fun while he develops his skills. He may not even have dyslexia or adhd. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• he is 10 months old, enjoy your baby and deal with that when the time comes :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Dyslexia and ADHD are diagnosed by symptoms. Since your child may be at risk avoiding preschool would be a good idea and maybe even waiting a year on K if that is common in your school system. Putting a child that has any kind of behavior or learning problems in groups of children is stressful and may bring out the behavior you are trying to avoid.

Wait on anything that has to do with reading; ABCs, letters, ect. If he learns on his own then that's great.

If you are bottlefeeding hold your baby at your breast and switch sides for eye development. Continue to hold your toddler at your breast gazing into your eyes until 2 or beyond like a breastfeeding mother would do.

Encourage crawling, it may help with reading.

I have a master's degree in adult education and we learned these kind of things about reading problems.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• "I have to disagree with the "research" all my kids have watched tv from the time they were about 3 months, and not one has been diagnosed with ADHD or low reading scores."
    This is great but your kids were probably not predisposed to it. There are kids who you could be the worst parent in the world, plunk them in front of the TV 24/7 and they won't have adhd or reading problems. A parent who has a genetic history of adhd and dyslexia may want to use that info to her advantage as her kids are at higher risk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Here are some articles on the research: It's Official:TV Linked to Attention Deficit "babies and toddlers parked in front of the TV have a much higher risk of developing ADHD by age 7, a new study shows" it is a HIGHER RISK, not an absolute cause and effect. Most kids still will not get adhd. They were "were significantly more likely to develop symptoms of adhd" TV & ADHD

There is  strong correlation between tv and reading sores. Kids who watch more tv tend to score lower in reading than those who watch less tv. Can you find kids who watch tons if tv and are great readers, or who watch no tv and are poor readers? Absolutely.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• diet diet diet! Kids have been CURED of things by just eating wholesome nutritious foods. I would make sure that artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives dont make their way into your son's diet.
    Anonymous