Mean 2 year old?

I am a live in nanny for 2 year, turned 2 is Sept. He is so mean to my 21 month old and I don't know how to make him stop. Time out doesn't work, smacking his hand or butt doesn't work, pointing out that he made my son cry doesn't work. He always gets very mad if everything doesn't go his way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like he may be strong-willed or spoiled. He needs consistent discipline. You may need to talk to the parents about their preference for discipline and go from there. If they leave it up to you I suggest trying the Love & Logic approach.
    Anonymous

• well, you should talk to his mother, but also maybe try and see this from his perspective. His mommy works all the time and he sees that your son gets you all the time, you may try to be impartial, but I am sure there is some bias, and jelousy may be a factor. Also I'm assuming it's mostly his toys that the kids play with and sharing is a hard concept. I would try and create some boundries, maybe let him pick a few toys that are special and he doesn't want to share, those ones can go on his bed or something. Then lay down some ground rules, he hits or is violent in any way it's timeout for two minutes, he takes a toy forcefully, the toy goes in timeout. Try and make the punishment fit the crime instead of using corporal punishment which will only promote violence. oh and maybe some special one on one time with his mother would help him feel like he is getting the attention he needs.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2010