i want a drug free labor need advice

this is my 3rd .....my 1st was all natural 24 hr long at was horrible my 2nd i had a epidural was great till i was at a 9 and i stopped dialating so the stopped it and gave me potcin this time i want another natural any tips that help (other then tub birth our hospital dosent do them)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• have a birth plan and someone who is going to step up and make sure your birth plan is followed
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• You don't have to have a tub birth to have all natural. You can stand in the shower or soak in the tub to help releive pain. Join a gourp on natural birthing. they will be able to help you out with things you can do to help you achieve a natural birth.
    Anonymous

• this is my first so im not sure how this will work but im trying to fine ways to get my to relax and clam down and im going to also play relaxing music when im in l&d and im not going to let the people in that stress me out till after baby is born then they can come in like i said i dont know if any of this will work but thats what im going to try a do i want a drug free labor too
    Anonymous

• make sure you are at a hospital that doesn't require continuous EFM (if you must be at a hospital). you want to be able to move around. read a book like "ina may's guide to childbirth" or "birthing from within"
    Anonymous

• Here's my experience - 1st baby was WAY hard & long to deliver, but I was determined, & did it naturally...baby#2 again, all natural; labor time was much shorter, my objective was to stay home & labor as long as possible, made it to the Hospital JUST in time to deliver (they're not kidding when they say 2nd baby comes fast!)...baby#3 yet again, ALL NATURAL, and I did the same thing as #2, waited till literally the last minute to go to Hospital, in fact Dad missed delivery cuz he was in the bathroom(no joke, we never let him forget!)....my best advise is let your body do all the work, let go and relax, don't let your mind get so wrapped up with the pain - it's not going to last forever! Women are amazing and we were blessed with the greatest job in the world....delivering naturally is so invigorating! U CAN DO IT!
    kimof3beebs

Answer by kimof3beebs at 3:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Have you considered another hospital then, or an out-of-hospital birth?
    It is much easier to birth without interventions if you are not in The Intervention House. A hospital is great for emergencies-- but it's also great for adding risks to normal births. If you can avoid that location for a normal delivery, you are MUCH more likely to have a successful drug-free delivery.

If you intend to birth there, anyway, you can hire a supportive attendant like a midwife. Having support from home, your partner, family, friends, and a birth doula will be important, too. And having prepared yourself (books, classes, videos) for how to cope with labor is important, too!

Your confidence is the key here. What do you need to do to feel great about this?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I don't know if you've ever been to a child birthing class (I don't want to assumer even though you have had children before) but those can be really helpful. If you can find a good one that teaches you exactly what is happening to your body and why that should be helpful, a lot of the pain comes from us tensing up because we don't know exactly what's happening. I had two support people one would obviously be your DH or SO but the other should be either a doula or someone you know who has had a natural delivery before with no complications. Having a focus object like a small stuffed animal that represents the baby is something that really helped me, getting out of the bed when you have a contraction (especially during early labor) and letting gravity do it's part in this whole process, having someone rub your back and just remember to relax. The more you tense up the more it hurts so just concentrate on relaxing.
    Anonymous

• The above posters all had great advice.
    I'll just let you know what worked for me.
    Having a doula was the best thing I did because she kept me focused and when I asked for drugs told me to wait two more contractions (that was our "deal") and after that I was ready to push so I didn't need them! A doula will also help support your SO and have great tips on how to relieve back pain and will have birthing balls and massage tools etc. She will also stand up for you if the hospital staff is pushy about the drugs.
    BREATH! and stay as relaxed as possible..try not to "run" from the pain, dive into each contraction. If you tense up it hurts more. Eat and drink if you can and use the shower if they have one for you.
    Good luck and don't pysch yourself out, you'll do great!
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I'm planning a home birth so i have no option for drugs.

We're going to begin hypnobirthing classes soon. Some of the women in my midwife's practice use hypnobirthing and they have these quick quiet labors where the baby just kinda falls out. It's really calm and everyone is really relaxed.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• God bless you hunny. All I gotta say is GOOD LUCK!!! I HAD all the drugs they'd give me during child birth and it was STILL the most painful thing I have ever experienced......I don't know how ANYONE can do it without drugs. Good luck momma
    Anonymous